Monday, September 3, 2012

Year 2, Day 246: Psalm 118

Psalm 118

Psalm 118 is a festive psalm, meaning that it was a psalm that was often sung during religious processions and other similar ceremonies.  It is a really rousing psalm, which is no doubt why it was used in this context.  I can easily see this psalm being sung in the midst of a congregation genuinely intent on praising God and then watching as the people slowly swell into a “spiritual frenzy.”  {Not in a fanatic way, but in a way that makes people really hungry to learn from God and His Word.}

If we look at the main theme of this psalm, we can see that the point of this psalm is to remind us that the Lord saves.  The Lord saves because His love is steadfast.  His love is steadfast because He never ends.  We can have confidence that the Lord will be with us as much today as He was with us in the past.  He will be with us as much tomorrow as He was today.

If the Lord is with us, we need not fear what tomorrow will bring.  We don’t need to worry about the unknown enemies resting just out of view – waiting for the opportunity to launch an assault.  We don’t need to worry about the enemies that we can see who make no desire to hide the fact that they are coming to encircle us.  If the Lord is with us and we are doing His will, His steadfast love will endure forever and He will save us from our enemies.

In fact, I love the section of this psalm that talks about the psalmist being encircled.  Did you notice the repeated phrase of Psalm 118:8-10?  Although the nations surrounded the psalmist, it is the psalmist who cut off the nations through the help of the Lord.  What an inspiring repeated idea.  In Rock music, we would call these verses a Vamp Chorus.  Again and again we hear the witness of the psalmist who says that although the world came against him, it is he who prevailed because of the name – and therefore, presence – of God.  What an incredible testimony.

Of course, this brings to mind the many times that people have sought my own destruction.  How many times have people planned to squish me?  How many people have sought to squash my spirit?  How many times have I come upon people who would like nothing more than to destroy that faith that lives within me?  Time and time again people have tried to walk over me, step over me, or use me as a step to their own greatness.  Truthfully, some of those people did use me as step and they did attain their own desire.  But through the grace of God they have not succeeded in quenching my spirit!  They have not succeeded in stopping this love of God that He continues to fuel within me.  Though the world encircles me, I will cut them off!  I will not lose this faith that lives deep within my soul where God has planted it.

How about you?  Can you think of times where people have sought to crush you?  Can you think of times when people have sought to walk all over you?  Can you think of times when people have sought to put you in your place?  Can you think of times when people desired to quench the fire of faith that lives within you?  Has not God brought you out as well?  Although the world encircles you, is it not you who have cut them off?  Is not your faith still strong within you?

The Lord has made us shine.  The Lord has spared us from turmoil.  The Lord has brought us to where we are today.  The Lord will bring us into eternity with Him.  The world may come against us, but it will not prevail.

I am reminded of the song A Mighty Fortress is Our God written by Martin Luther.  Although it is a bit of an old translation of the hymn, here is the third verse: “And though this world with devils filled should threaten to undo us, we will not fear for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.  The prince of darkness grim, we tremble not for him; his rage we can endure, for lo his doom is sure.  One little word shall fell him.”

Indeed.  Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.  He is my God – Our God!  I will give thanks to Him.  We will extol His name.  His steadfast love endures forever!


<>< 

3 comments:

  1. I like your summary John. This Psalm is a good example of why I don't adore the Psalms for the most part. I'm sure in original language they're a lot cooler, but translating poetry is a rough task indeed.

    I image if we took a really good english poem and tried to make it "work" in German it would loose a lot.

    I like what you mention as far as it being written to be memorized (Same way we can memorize songs easier than prose).

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree - especially with respect to the difficulty of translating poetry in a meaningful way - at the same time I also think that we can benefit simply from trying. I may not be able to master the psalms because they are written in a different language and much of the neatness of the psalms is lost in the translation. But I can still appreciate them for what we can get out of them.

    But like I have said many times already. Typically, the psalms (and Proverbs) are the books that I struggle the most to read. The psalms because they are poetic. Proverbs because each chapter is schizophrenic - every two or three verses the topic changes. So I'm right there with you. I have struggled mightily at times in the psalms. But I do think there is benefit to the struggle.

    ReplyDelete