Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Year 2, Day 248: Psalms 120-121

Psalms 120-134 are psalms typically known as the Psalms of Ascent.  This is why each of them has a particular title about ascending.  However, we are not entirely sure to what people are ascending.  Some people believe these are psalms that would be said as pilgrims made their way to Jerusalem.  Since Jerusalem is on the top of a substantial hill, people naturally ascend to Jerusalem.  Other people believe that these psalms represent the 15 stairs that led into the temple and the Levites would sing each of these psalms as they went into the temple to do their work.  Each of these Psalms of Ascent focuses on a different theme.  This implies that they may have composed a greater ritual – a ritual such as entering the temple where achieving focus would be the desired outcome.

Psalm 120

Psalm 120 is intended to focus us upon God – specifically His ability to deliver us.  This has been a theme throughout much of the psalms, although here we have a narrowing of the focus on God’s deliverance as deliverance from those with lying lips and a deceitful tongue.  This psalm is to remind us of the damage that our words can have.

This is a pretty important topic, likely why this Psalm of Ascent is put first.  How many places in scripture do we hear about the damage that the tongue can do?  Perhaps the most famous teaching on the tongue is James 3:1-12.  But we shouldn’t also forget Peter’s admonition in 1 Peter 3:10 to keep our tongue from evil and to keep our lips from speaking deceit.  Paul’s quotations of Psalm 5:9 and Psalm 140:3 in Romans 3:13-14 is also highly memorable.  But perhaps the greatest of all teachings is the words of Jesus as given to us in Mark 7:15.  It is not what goes into a person that defiles them but rather what comes out that defiles them.

I think it is safe to say that the New Testament is in unison with this psalm.  Our tongues are significant tools; we should pay attention to how we use them.  We should pay attention to the damage that can be done by them.  We as human beings have a tendency to use our tongues for evil far too often.  That evil usually stems from lies and deceit.  After all, when has evil ever come from God’s truth?

However, this psalm is not just about our human tongue and God’s deliverance from it.  This song is also about peace.  It should be no surprise that in a psalm where the tongue is talked about the psalmist also speaks about peace.  What divides us more than anything else if it is not the tongue?  What keeps us from God and His ways more than anything else if it is not the tongue?  Are we – as the psalmist claims to be – for peace?  When we speak – or in the case of technology, type – are we aiming for peace with our words?

Psalm 121

Psalm 121 is a psalm that glorifies in God’s promises.  It is the Lord who is our keeper.  It is the Lord who is our protector.  It is the Lord who watches over us.  It is the Lord who never slumbers.

Stop for a second, though.  Go back and reread the prior paragraph.  As you do, ask yourself if your thoughts and your actions genuinely demonstrate this to be true.  Are you like me and occasionally wonder when God will bring about deliverance?  Are you like me and become impatient while waiting for God to declare His protection?  Are you like me and occasionally try to bring about God’s will far before He is ready to have it come?

I hope that deep down inside we do genuinely believe the words of my opening paragraph on this psalm.  My questions in the paragraph above were not meant to bring about a crisis of faith as much as they were meant to bring about a realization of just how often we don’t practice what we genuinely believe.  That’s pretty sad; but I know with me it is true.  I know my help comes from God.  I know every good and perfect thing comes from God.  I know that His ways are better than my ways.  Yet …

Yet I don’t always do a great job living it out. 

Today I need to spend more time focusing on how I truly display my belief that God will watch over my going in and my coming out.  Today I need to spend more time talking about God’s deliverance and less time figuring out how I am going to get what I think I want right now.


<>< 

2 comments:

  1. For Psalm 121 -- this is one of my FAVORITE Psalms. I find great comfort in it (plus I've done many an anthem in choir on this Psalm). It's interesting that your first paragraph makes those points -- when I get to a place where I'm confused or lost or feeling alone, I actually start quoting this Psalm (or another one that we haven't gotten to yet)! YAY for poetry being easy to remember!!

    I actually find that if I look at this Psalm, God is there for me at all times. He sees EVERYTHING I do. I have to say that helps so much in my daily routine. No, I'm not perfect by any means, nor would I want to be. However, if I can give praise to God who provides for me daily, I've been blessed with so many things. I've got talents to use in my job. I've got an amazing family (husband, child, parents) that's stayed together through thick and thin which is great in this day and age. I've got a terrific church family which is growing lately. God is good! All the time!

    So now, as I look back on my awesome day, I'm now singing "I will lift up my eyes, for where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Creator of Heaven and Earth!"

    Thanks for your insight -- and the reminder of how much this Psalm echos in my life! I'm pumped now to get lots done tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for sharing. It is always great to hear someone else praise God for what He has done in this life. Yes, I agree. None of us are perfect. But as you say, yet He provides for us daily. That's cool.

    ReplyDelete