Saturday, September 15, 2012

Year 2, Day 258 : John 10

Continued From Before

The first story in John 10 is really a continuation of the teaching that Jesus does in the prior chapter.  We know this because at the end of the chapter people are still arguing over Jesus and one of the reasons some hold fiercely to Jesus’ claim is because He opened the eyes of the blind man.  That healing story is still fresh in the minds of those who are questioning themselves and searching for truth.

The Good Shepherd

As I have studied this chapter in the past, it has led me to a conclusion that is not popular among other pastors: I don’t particularly care to be referred to as the “shepherd” of a congregation.  Certainly I don’t consider it wrong; there are places in the Bible where people like the priests and the prophets were referred to as shepherds.  So it isn’t wrong to refer to one’s pastor as a shepherd.  But I don’t care for it.  I don’t care for it because of the points that Jesus makes here in this passage.

First, Jesus says that He is the Good Shepherd.  His sheep know Him.  His sheep follow Him.  To quote a very popular camp song among children and youth, “I just want to be a sheep.”  Jesus is the one who laid down His life for our sins; He’s the shepherd.  Jesus is the one who calls people in the world to come to Him; He’s the shepherd.  Jesus is the one who leads people forth into pasture; He’s the shepherd.  Sure, I may be the tool in His hands, but He’s the one doing it.  He’s the one setting the agenda.  The less I think of myself as a shepherd and the more I think of myself as a sheep the easier it is for me to remember that it is about His agenda, His plan, and His Gospel.

Second, Jesus makes this point immediately after fighting against the Jewish leaders.  He tells them that they are guilty after insinuating that they are blind.  I think part of what Jesus is saying here is that He is the shepherd, not these Jewish leaders that are blind and guilty of missing God’s hand at work in the world.  These Jewish leaders want to focus on themselves and their righteous understanding of the Law, so Jesus comes to the people and talks about why He is the good shepherd.  I think we should pause here and think about the fact that all human beings are prone to points of life where they are blind, sinful, and self-centered.  Only Jesus is perfect.  Therefore, He is the shepherd.  I just want to be a sheep!

The Door

I also like the analogy that Jesus uses about being the door.  “If anyone enters by me he will be saved.  He will go in and out and find pasture.”  I love this quote because it makes it clear what Jesus taught.  He alone is the door.  There is one way to pasture: Jesus.  In a day full of pluralism, this is a verse we need to remember.  In a culture that asserts individualism, this is a verse to which we must cling.  It is so easy to listen to the logic of the world and care most about what I think and what I believe and what I need.  But what is of ultimate importance is to recognize that Jesus is the door.  Life is about what God thinks, what God teaches as true, and what God wants for us.  Jesus is the door.  We enter into pasture by humbling ourselves to Him and His truth.

More Conflict

In the second half of this chapter we have more conflict between the Jews – quite possibly the Jewish leaders, really – and Jesus.  You can feel the tension building in the story.  The public is quick to stone Him now.  They are just waiting for any excuse.

Last time they tried to stone Jesus it was about eternal life.  Now it is about the claim that Jesus is one with the Father.  Yes, Jesus talks about eternal life and the fact that Jesus’ works are from the Father.  But this time the offense increases when Jesus says that He is one with God.  Jesus claims divinity in their midst.

Now, of course we believe Jesus in hindsight.  All of us reading this today can look back on this story and we can talk about the Trinity: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.  None of us balk at the idea that Jesus says He is one with God.  It is easy for us to judge the Jewish leaders.  But I don’t want to be quite so quick to judge. 

After all, what if someone came today claiming to be the Son of God?  Would we not be equally as quick to want to stone Him and cast Him out?  Sure, we might believe that the person has to be an imposter because we already know Jesus as the Son of God, and for the record, I believe we’d be right!  But we would be using the same human logic that the Jewish leaders used against Jesus.  My point is not that we are wrong; my point is that we need to learn the lesson of the Jewish leaders and not be quite so quick to be close-minded.  God works in mysterious ways.  If studying the Gospels teaches me anything it is that God often works and fulfills His Word in ways that make sense only in hindsight.

In fact, this is really the point of Jesus’ teaching.  Towards the end Jesus essentially says, “If I am not doing the work of God, then don’t believe me.  But if I am doing the work of God, then at least consider the work as a testimony to who I am in God.”  So often we as human beings get so wrapped up in our own belief that we alone understand scripture and we alone have made it make sense.  We have the tendency to fall into close-mindedness because we would rather believe the thoughts in our heads than the witness of God in the world around us.

I do believe we should study God’s Word and I do believe we should have a strong faith that we proclaim in boldness to the world around us.  I absolutely believe that we should have a sturdy theology built upon that strong faith from God.  But I also think that we can learn from modern engineering.  When we look at a skyscraper, it is actually designed to have a certain amount of flexibility.  If it was completely rigid, every earthquake and storm with strong winds would be a threat to topple it to the ground.  Although they are built on a very firm foundation, they are built to be flexible.  I think the same should be true about us.  We should be built on a strong foundation.  We should be firm and confident and strong.  But we should also have some flexibility in us, too.  We should be able to see God’s genuine work in the world and embrace it – even when it heads into a direction that we might not expect.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment