Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Year 2, Day 332: Ecclesiastes 2

Ecclesiastes 2 is divided up into three sections.  First we have the vanity of self-indulgence.  Then we have the vanity of living wisely.  Third we have the vanity of toil.  Talk about a chapter of the Bible that applies to real life!  Do you know anyone who doesn’t fit into one of these three categories?  Is there a person out there who isn’t living to party, living to be prudent, or living to work?

Self-Indulgence

In the first section, we hear about sheer opulence.  Solomon claims that whatever his eye desired to behold he did not refrain from bringing it into his presence.  He had gardens.  He had slaves.  He had wives.  He had food.  He had drink.  Whatever he desired he had.

Sounds like a good life, right?

Look at where Solomon lands at the end of the section.  It is vanity.  It is meaningless.  There is simply nothing there.  I have to say that I agree with him.  I’ve mentioned it before in my blog, and I’ll probably mention it again.  But I remember as a child writing up Christmas lists to Santa.  I thought if my wishes were fulfilled then I would be happy forever.  I was wrong.  My wishes weren’t fulfilled forever.  My wishes granted me short-term pleasure.  It just didn’t last. 

This is not a slam on children writing wish lists to Santa.  It is a memory I treasured as a child and I advocate it as part of a family dynamic because of the lessons it can teach.  What I am slamming is my own immaturity in believing that Santa’s gifts could make me happy forever!  But that’s just part of the growing up process, isn’t it?

The point that I love about this section is that it really demonstrates the futile nature of stuff.  After all, if the guy who has everything is not satisfied, what chance do I have in satisfying my heart with the stuff I can possess?  No, the answer to satisfaction in life is not found in my possessions.

However, I don’t want to go too far off the deep end in the other direction, either.  I don’t believe the answer is in complete poverty, either.  There is nothing wrong with having a few things.  There is nothing wrong with having clothes, some food, shelter, etc.  The problem comes when we believe the stuff is the answer.  To pull in the 10 commandments, the problem with vanity comes when the stuff becomes the idol that we elevate above God.  That’s where meaningless pursuit of stuff is found.

Vanity of Prudence

So now we turn to the vanity of prudent living.  It begins by Solomon correctly discovering that there is more significance in wisdom than in folly.  There is more significance to living in the light than living in darkness.  Each of these points is correct.

However, Solomon also correctly concludes that no amount of wisdom can completely satisfy.  We will always make mistakes.  No matter how much we prepare we will always be blind-sided by the hidden agendas and mistakes of others.  Let’s face it.  No matter how prudent we live, we are all going to die and be subject to things like natural disasters.  Solomon is clearly saying that wisdom is good, but it is not the answer to our need for fulfillment.  Nobody is able to plan out life so fully and completely that they can avoid the negative elements.

Vanity of Toil

Finally we turn to the vanity of toil.  Solomon begins with an incredibly human perspective.  How many of us have ever been frustrated by the fact that we work and work and work and inevitably someone else benefits from our work when they did absolutely nothing to deserve it?  People in business wrestle with this idea all the time.  In fact, it is this idea that is the root for things like copyright and patent law.  Nobody likes the thought of other people reaping a great benefit when we are the ones who did all the work.

However, Solomon then turns to where truth in toil can be found.  We should toil.  Solomon knows that we should toil.  As bad as it is for other people to benefit from our toil when they don’t deserve it, it is even worse for a person to not toil at all.  We all need work to do.  We all need to accomplish something in our life.  So how do we accomplish toil without being frustrated about those who will reap from our toil?

It’s really simple.  We toil for God.  We adopt a perspective in life that all we do we do for Him.  When we toil in order to please God, then it is up to God to distribute the effort of our toil.  If God is in control, then God is in control.  It’s as simple as that.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment