Thursday, November 22, 2012

Year 2, Day 326: 1 Timothy 6

God is good.

I know.  No big surprise there, right?  After all, this is a spiritual blog.  So beginning with that statement seems like the old no-brainer.  But sometimes it pays to say the things that we already know just because we need to hear them one more time in our life.  For example, take today’s reading.  Thanksgiving comes on a different day of the year every year.  So there is absolutely no way to plan a particular reading for Thanksgiving each year.  I have to take what the schedule gives me.  But what do we have today?  Today’s chapter has some incredible Thanksgiving content.  I didn’t plan it, but God did!  He’s so good with His ability to make the small details work out just right.

To Those Under A Yoke

Paul begins this chapter with a note about those under a yoke of slavery.  Paul is quite clear that those slaves who have Christian masters must not be disrespectful.  This is actually a really hard piece of advice for us to hear today, because Paul is actually advocating that Christianity and slavery are not mutually exclusive.  {And in only the right context, I don’t believe them to be, either.  After all, how many times does Paul call himself a slave of Christ?}

You see, one of the fundamental tenets of Christianity is grace and mercy given out towards the community.  The nuts and bolts of what Paul is trying to say here is this.  If you have a master who may give you orders and expect you to work, but the master also treats you with Christian love and human decency, why would you not submit?  After all, are we not all slaves to God?  We should be able to treat one another with solid human decency regardless of whether the other person is simply an employer or a full-fledged master.  This passage isn’t about human domination; it is about learning to treat each other in a Christ-like fashion regardless of how our stations in life cause us to interact with one another.  Is there anything inherently sinful about being a slave – especially a slave of someone who treats me with respect for my life?

Exhortation

Jumping down to the end of the chapter, Paul’s words of exhortation to Timothy are inspiring.  Paul focuses in really hard on the purpose of life.  Fight the good fight.  Hold fast to the confession of belief.  This is such an incredibly difficult practice, but it so important.  Our time on earth is measured in years.  Our time with God will be measured in an infinite day.  We should be mindful to focus on the infinite rather than fretting over the finite.

We aren’t to focus on wealth.  We aren’t to focus on riches.  Station in life is fairly meaningless to God.  We are to be more concerned about generosity than hording treasure on this world.  We are to be more concerned about the treasures awaiting God’s people in heaven than the worldly trinkets that we seek after so well.  I really like how Paul tells Timothy to guard the deposit that has been entrusted to him.  We would all be wise to listen to that piece of advice every day.  Guard the deposit of faith that God has offered to each of us!

What a wonderful segue into Thanksgiving.  If I loop back into the middle of the chapter, Paul talks a bit about the false teachers and the things that they get wrong.  But then Paul talks to us about what is really important in life. 

Godliness and contentment is an incredible gain.  This really hit me today on Thanksgiving.  Am I really godly?  Trust me, yesterday as I drove to Walmart I realized just how ungodly of a frame of mind I was carrying around with me.  So I had some serious repenting to do – and my day got worse before it got better.  Am I godly?  Sure, I spend time in God’s Word every day.  I have wonderful spiritual conversations with friends.  I do look for ways to be repentant and confess my shortcomings.  So I have come a long way with respect to godliness.  But there are still more things upon which I can work!

What about the other word?  Am I content?  Am I grateful to simply have food, water, clothing, and shelter?  I have people around me that care about me – am I content with that?  I have God’s Word to sustain me – am I content with that?  I have the promise of eternal life – am I content?

It is so hard to be content in this world. It used to be that I was content playing a board game by myself.  Yes, I was one of those freaky kids who would play a 6 person game of Risk all by myself and honestly be able to compete against myself in 6 different ways.  I used to be content playing outside with my imagination and a few friends.  I used to be content lying out in the grass.  Granted, I lived in Minnesota where there weren’t fire ants, so it was quite a bit safer, LOL!  But today I find myself bombarded with ads about how great the newest cell-phone is.  I find myself bombarded with information about the latest upgrade to the Bible Software program I use.  Am I really content?

I think I have much to learn today.  I need to learn again what it means to be content – and then apply it to my life.  What a wonderful place to end on this day of giving thanks.  God, thank you for your generosity in my life, and help me to understand how to be content with what you have so richly provided for me. 


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment