Monday, November 5, 2012

Year 2, Day 309: Proverbs 18

What Comes Out Of Our Mouth…

I really like the depth {no pun intended} of Proverbs 18:4.  The words of a man’s mouth are deep waters.  You can really tell a lot about a person when they open their mouth.  Are they harsh?  Are they gentile?  Do they guide?  Do they command?  Do they denigrate?  Do they humiliate?

It has often been said that the eyes are windows into a person’s soul.  I genuinely believe that the tongue is a direct channel into a person’s heart.  When a person’s tongue speaks truth and love, the heart is also right.  When a person speaks bitterness and anger, the heart is in the same place.

Verses 6-8 also speak to us today about our words and how we use them.  Verses 6-7 tell us about the fool.  The fool uses his lips to walk into a fight.  The fool’s mouth invites a beating.  His lips betray him.  His lips expose his soul for what it is.  Verse 8 reminds us about the danger of gossip, saying that the words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels which sink deep down into our soul.  When we are around people who use words in foolish or hurtful ways our soul is tempted away from the purity of life to which we are called by God.

Strong Tower

Proverbs 18:10 is another great verse.  The name of the Lord is a strong tower.  Every single time I hit a verse with this obvious piece of wisdom, I am always struck by how easy it is to lose sight of this wisdom.  Of course the Lord is a strong tower!  But how quickly do I stray from the Lord and begin to do things my own way?  How quickly am I met with temptation and find myself needing to be reminded that the truly wise are the ones who turn to and cling to the tower of the Lord?  I think there is a reason why this single obvious piece of advice is repeated so frequently all throughout our Bible.  Although it is obvious, we as human beings lose sight of it so very quickly.

Humility

Speaking of wisdom that is repeated again and again, did anyone notice yet another reoccurrence of the “humility comes before honor” in Proverbs 18:12.  Here is another piece of advice that is repeated over and over because it is necessary to understanding and resisting the general human condition.

Taking Our Time To Think

Proverbs 18:17 is an incredibly powerful verse, especially in the economic and election environment within which most of us find ourselves wrapped up.  Essentially, this verse says that whoever is speaking usually appears to make sense.  So, as people, I think we need to heed some strong advice.  We need to always allot time to reflect before making decisions.  We need access to the data.  We need time to review data.  We need time to hear people.  Then we need time to think without outside influence.  We need time to process.  When making a decision, it is prudent that we allocate some time where we can process things without being under outside influence.  Only then will we be able to truly make the decision inside that God is calling us to make.

The Good Wife

I also love Proverbs 18:22.  He who finds a wife finds a good thing and pleases the Lord.  Now, first things first.  The Bible says nothing negative about celibacy here so we must be very careful to not infer anything.  The Bible doesn’t say “therefore he who doesn’t find a wife offends the Lord” and we must be extremely careful to not read that into the text because it is very easy to do so.  In fact, we should remember that Paul actually advocates a life of celibacy in several of his writings in the New Testament.

That aside, I think the wisdom of this proverb is a healthy understanding of marriage.  I should honor and value and treasure my wife far more than I do.  Because I live with her every day, it is easy to feel the tarnish come into the relationship.  It is easy to take her for granted.  It is easy to undervalue her contributions to the family.  No.  Marriage is not about taking the easy road.  He who finds a wife finds a good thing.  My wife should be the jewel in my crown.  My wife should be the one I long to support.  My wife should be my prize, my joy, and my love.  {Second only to God, of course.}

Perhaps it is silly for me to say that within the proverbs I find jewels of wisdom that I should remember but so easily forget.  I think that’s the point of this book.  It is a collection of jewels of wisdom that we should remember but don’t.  But today, that seemed to be the theme of my reading.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment