Saturday, November 17, 2012

Year 2, Day 321: Proverbs 30

Who Is Agur

This chapter is attributed to a person who went by the name Agur.  I’m going to be honest.  We don’t have a clue who this is.  It’s most likely not Solomon, though.  So as we study this chapter we can honestly speak of the author of Proverbs rather than of Solomon.

Limitations

The opening set of verses is rather humbling.  In fact, I find them slightly sarcastic – but in a very helpful way.  The true man understands they get tired.  The true man understands in the end just how little any one of us can actually understand about life.  The true man is repentant and humble enough to accept that they don’t actually have access to very much wisdom at all.  The true man in the end is able to understand that they really can’t go up to heaven on their own and they are completely and totally dependent upon God for salvation.  The true man understands their work in the grand scheme of things.

Before I Die

The next section – verses 7 through 9 – also gives a really helpful perspective.  Look at what the author says about life.  “Give me two things before I die.”  Now, before I go too far forward, let me ask you.  How would you finish that request?  How would you have finished that request when you were 20?  How would you have finished that request at 15?  If you could ask of any two things from God, for what would you ask?

Here’s how the author of this chapter finishes that thought.  First, remove falsehood and lying from my life.  Second, feed me with food that I really need.  Let me summarize a little more generically.  First, help me to be righteous.  Second, give me what I need, not what I want.  I find those thoughts really helpful in setting a perspective on life.  What should be our heart’s desire?  Our heart should be set on God and God’s ways.  We should want righteousness.  We should want whatever God deems that we need.

The Psychology of Sin

I find the psychology of Proverbs 30:20 very interesting.  The adulteress goes about life and thinks that she isn’t doing anything wrong.  Now, we can talk about this with respect to adultery.  But we can talk about this psychology with just about any unrepentant sin.  The danger of unrepentant sins is that the more we do them the less we see the danger.  The more we do sin the more we can justify our actions.  The more we accomplish sin, the easier it is for us to go about life as though absolutely nothing is wrong.  We become blind to our sin the more we welcome unrepentant sin into our life.

I like how this chapter ends.  The author picks up on this same general theme to which I have just been speaking.  “If you’ve been fooling yourself,” the author says, “listen up.  If you’ve been devising evil, pay attention.”  The author is talking to those people who aren’t really paying attention to what they are doing.

What is it that the author says about these circumstances?  Pressing this behavior will only bring about bad results.  Just as you get curds when you press much of the moisture out of milk, strife comes when you spent too much time dwelling in anger.  Sin comes when we spent too much time in unchecked living.  We need to evaluate ourselves on a regular basis.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment