Monday, November 19, 2012

Year 2, Day 323: 1 Timothy 1-2

Today we’re jumping to the New Testament for eight days while covering 1 & 2 Timothy.  Then we’ll be back in the Old Testament for a good stretch as we cover Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, and Isaiah.  It’s going to be a fun next few months!

The Opening Greeting

One of the things I love about the Apostle Paul’s writing style is that he is so deep that it seems like every time I read the letters that he wrote through God’s inspiration there is always something new to focus on.  For example, take his opening greeting.  Time after time I have focused on the word “apostle” and how it means “one who is sent out for a specific purpose.” 

Today as I read through this letter I focused on the word “command.”  Paul was sent out to foreign places at the command of God.  Another way of fairly translating this verse would be that Paul was sent out to foreign places by a decree of God.  I am struck by the obedience of Paul.  God made a decree, he followed.  Sure, Paul had his moments of doubt, his share of arguments with God, and his moments of struggle.  But in the end it is safe to say that his life was about being obedient to God’s calling for him to take God’s Word and the message of salvation through Jesus Christ to anyone who would listen.

The Recipient

As we put this idea in context, remember that Paul is writing this to Timothy.  Timothy was younger than Paul.  He was a man who had been impressed with Paul’s willingness to die in Lystra as well as his willingness to continue the work after almost dying.  Timothy was taking the faith that he had learned at the feet of his grandmother and mother – Lois and Eunice – and learning to apply it to his life at the feet of Paul.  In this letter, what is Paul’s first lesson for this young Timothy?  You must seek God’s call and obey it.  There is power in that advice.

Law and Gospel

Paul then turns to an excellent discourse between the Law and the Gospel.  In the modern church, we have fallen in the face of the age old fight of the church.  The temptation is often to forget one or the other.  Some people want to make it all Law and beat people down with their sinful nature.  Others want to make it all grace and let people ignore their sin completely.  We have need of a balance. 

We need to understand that the Law is our greatest tool against sin.  When we have sin in our life, it is God’s Law that will convict us.  The Law is the power of God to guide us and turn us away from sinful behavior.  However, we must also not forget grace.  Grace is the freedom we have received from God to live apart from sin. Grace is the ability to show God’s love to others in a multitude of ways.  Grace is our ability to follow a God whose message doesn’t change but whose methodology does change based upon our context.  Grace is the root of our ability to be free in Christ!

I think we as Christ’s church – and I know I as a person – need to remember this balancing act.  I need to pay more attention as to how I apply it.  When I am dealing with aspects of sin in this world, I need to remember to turn to the Law, even though turning to grace is so much easier in the short term because we believe we can skip the “conviction/change” step in the process!  When I am dealing with areas that are not tied to sin, such as worship or evangelism or fellowship among the believers, I need to remember to turn to grace and seek whatever God is doing in our midst, even though turning to the Law and applying things like “tradition” and “my correct way” is so easy!

Knowing when to use Law and Gospel appropriately is so hard.  We often want to use them backwards so that we end up ignoring the areas of our life that we should be binding while binding the areas of our life that should know true freedom!

Prayer

In chapter 2 Paul talks a lot about prayer.  I have confessed it before and I will confess it again.  Of all the marks of discipleship, prayer is the one that is the most difficult for me.  Don’t get me wrong.  I can pray.  In fact, I am often teased by my wife and congregation that my prayers can turn into “mini-homilies” themselves.  I enjoy praying.  I understand the purpose of prayer.  But all that being said I think the area of prayer is the area of being a disciple in which I have the most to learn from the genuine prayer warriors who are around me.  The area of prayer is an area where I could absolutely learn from a spiritual mentor.  So as I read this chapter I definitely identify more with the recipient Timothy than with the author Paul.

Paul’s list of things we should pray for is also challenging: all people – not just the ones we like – and specifically for kings and people of power – regardless of whether we like them or not.  But look at the reason for the prayer for people and especially leaders.  We pray for them so that we may live lives of peace.  We pray for them so that as we live lives of peace we might be able to be dignified and reveal God to them.  Ultimately, we pray for them that we might be enabled to live in such a way so that as His ambassador we might bring God into their life.  We pray for people so that we might have an opportunity to be that evangelistic tool that God uses in their life.   We pray for people so that as many people as possible would come to understand what it really means to have one God and Father while relying solely on the one mediator between us and that God: Jesus Christ.  Now that is a challenging focus. 

I wonder if you are like me and can confess that such an idea isn’t really the practical purpose of most of my prayers?  Most of my prayers tend to fall into the “I need” or “someone else needs” category.  How often do I genuinely pray for others simply that they might come to an understanding of their need for God in their life?

Furthermore, we are to pray without quarreling.  We are to pray while lifting our hands high in celebration of God.  We are to pray in such a way as the focus is not upon us but rather upon God.  I think that’s a good place to end.  Our actions, our speech, our prayers, our dress – all these things should allow God to be the center.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment