Monday, November 12, 2012

Year 2, Day 316: Proverbs 25

God Conceals Things

Wow.  Proverbs 25 starts off with another bang. It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings to search them out.  I am in awe of the simple wisdom in this passage.  God conceals things for two primary reasons.  First, he conceals them so that those who are truly seeking Him would be able to find Him while all the fakes and phonies in the world will go back to living the life they would really want to live.  {For the record, this is the same reason that Jesus spoke in parables, remember?}  The second reason that God conceals things is so that when He is revealed, we know that it is truly God.  The lesson here is that God enjoys concealing Himself because He knows it will be more productive to His revelation to those who are honestly looking for Him.

Kings Seek Things Out

However, look at how this verse ends.  Kings desire to seek things out.  Prior to reading this proverb, I had just been reading an article about archaeology.  I was astonished by the parallel.  Why do most people think finding some ancient treasure trove would be neat?  Think of the wealth and publicity that would come from it!  Why do some people long to write that wonderful best-selling novel?  Think of all the wealth and publicity that would come from it!  Human beings love to seek things out because we crave the notoriety and the reward.  God conceals for the benefit of those who truly love Him.  We seek things out for the sake of our own glory.  Human beings really are the self-monger.

Humbleness

Proverbs 25:6-7 naturally go hand in hand with Luke 14:8-11.  Both are portions of scripture that advocate humbleness.  What is the humbleness-related theme that I seem to be chasing through the book of Proverbs?  Humbleness comes before honor.  It is better to assume a humble position and to be told to come into the presence of an important figure than it is to assume an important position and be told to step back.

On a spiritual level, I think there is an important lesson here as well.  Am I willing to play the role that my king – the Lord God – really wants me to play?  Am I willing to do what He asks and assume the humble position?  Am I willing to do the mundane while I wait for Him to tell me, “Come here, for I have a special role for you to play in the life of this person or such-and-such cause?”  For God does have a special role for all of us.  I just wonder how willing am I to play the role of the humble servant until those moments come.

Vomit

Proverbs 25:16 is a neat passage.  And yes, I will confess that anytime I come across the word “vomit” in scripture I make a mental note of the passage.  {One of my other favorite proverbs is Proverbs 26:11, and I am already sure that it will be included in my blog post for tomorrow!}  But in this passage we hear that when we find honey, eat only enough to satisfy us.  For if we over-indulge, we will vomit the honey back up.  Isn’t it really cool that I’m going to be able to make a spiritual point out of such an obviously gross passage?

How many of us ever ate too much ice cream or candy when we were a child?  How many of us ever sat down to a big meal of good food and ate until we made ourselves sick?  Thanksgiving is right around the corner, remember…  How many of us have ever loved the sun so much that we stayed out in it too long only to come in and either have a bad sunburn – or even worse – have sun poisoning?  We know this lesson.  You can have too much of a good thing.  This reminds me of one of my new favorite clichés: “drinking from the end of a fire hose.”  Good food, sunshine, and water are all good things.  But if you get too much of them too quickly, they can actually end up in a bad experience.

Believe it or not, the same is true on a spiritual plane.  I’ve had experiences before where I got so wrapped up in what God is doing in my life that I made too many changes too quickly.  I was so excited about what was going on that I stuck my face into God’s spiritual fire hose.  I dipped my hand too often into the spiritual feast.  What ended up happening to me is that I ended up making changes in my life that I wasn’t prepared to make.  I started getting ahead of God.  I started doing things that He had not prepared me to do.  It doesn’t mean I was making bad changes, I was just getting ahead of God.

In the end, I got burned.  I had a few bad experiences, exposed my hypocrisy, and tasted the bile that comes after we make an error in judgment.  I think Solomon is right here.  When we find honey – a popular symbol for God’s Word in the Old Testament – we need to make sure and not eat too much at once.  We need to eat our fill and be properly challenged.  But we need to only eat what God has prepared for us to consume.  If we overdo it, we’ll end up making poorly thought out decisions and decisions that we aren’t really spiritually willing to support.  We’ll end up exposing our hypocrisy.  So pace yourself.  It is best to grow towards God slowly and deeply and richly.  A constant and steady growth towards the Lord is far more meaningful than taking 3 steps forward followed by taking two steps back.

Without Self-Control

I’m going to end really quickly on the last verse of this chapter.  A person without self-control is like a city without solid walls.  A person without self-control has no defense.  A person without self-control has no means of keeping the thieves and the pillagers out.  A person without self-control has no means of protecting the soul inside.  People come, take what they want, leave what they want, and then walk away.  When we live a life without self-control, the same thing happens to us.  We are like waves tossed around by the wind or we are like the grain of the field blown every which way by the wind.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment