Monday, July 7, 2014

Year 4, Day 188: Joshua 3

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: King

  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

One of the best things about Joshua 3 is that it truly gives us a picture of the centrality of God.  God comes to Joshua.  God tells Joshua how to lead the people.  God tells Joshua what to do with the ark.  God tells Joshua how to approach the Jordan.  God tells Joshua they will cross on dry ground as a sign that the living God dwells with them.  And it happens.  Not only is God central, He’s completely running the show.  God is king.

It is from God the King that true authority flows.  It is from God the King that true power comes through authority.  He is the author of life and controls the world that He created.

But there is a little challenge in this understanding.  God is clearly king over this world.  But I wonder if He is king over my life.  Ultimately, of course, He is.  Nothing I do can make Him not King.  But am I following Him as King?  Do I live as though He is King?  Do I go to Him and ask where He is leading and how His will is going to work in my life as we see happening here in Joshua?  Or rather, do I go to Him and explain my agenda to Him and expect Him to work His power in my own agenda?  I know He is king over the universe; but do my actions demonstrate that I know He is king of my life?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment