Thursday, July 10, 2014

Year 4, Day 191: Joshua 6

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Kingdom

  • Kingdom: We live in God’s creation, but it is fallen.  We do not yet live in the fullness of God’s Kingdom.  But we do know that the Kingdom of God is drawing near.  we do get to see glimpses of the kingdom each and every time that God works in us and through us as He tries to demonstrate Himself to the world.

I can only imagine being Joshua in this battle.  I know how I would have reacted if I had taken all of my warriors and marched them across the Jordan and told them about the strength and valor that was going to be necessary.  I know how I would have reacted had God told me to tell those fighting men to get in line behind the priests.  I know how I would have reacted if God told me to keep the warriors quiet for six whole days while Jericho locked itself up tight like a scared little kid.

I don’t know how Joshua was feeling inside when God was unveiling His battle plan.  But I do know that he was absolutely obedient.  God spoke, Joshua did.  For the record, Joshua spoke and the people obeyed, too!  This is absolutely a great time to pat the people on the back for obedience.

But I believe there is a deeper lesson in this today.  The people marched around Jericho for 7 days, most of it in utter silence except for the trumpets.  They didn’t build siege weapons; they brought a box on poles and set it between four priests while they marched behind it.  This trip around Jericho – the first city to fall in the Promised Land – is about the Kingdom of God coming to Canaan.  This first battle is about God’s presence and God’s rule.  This first battle plan is about doing it God’s way.  This first time for plunder is about devoting everything to God.  This story of Jericho is completely about the Kingdom of God advancing upon the world and the obedience of the people to this advancing Kingdom.

This battle isn’t about Joshua’s will being done.  It is completely about God’s will being done on earth as it is in heaven.  God’s Kingdom is worth pursuing.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment