Friday, November 14, 2014

Year 4, Day 318: 2 Samuel 1

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Competency

  • Competency: Being able to accomplish what one is called to do.

I can’t help but think about David’s mourning of Saul with respect to this idea of competency.  In the theological commentary from three years ago to which I linked above, I ask some hard questions.  I don’t like the answers that I would give to those questions.

If a rival of mine died, would I mourn?  If someone who has sought my destruction died, would I be upset?  If someone that truly wanted the worst for me died, would I mourn?

This is why it is so shocking to hear David mourn Saul’s death.  Wouldn’t you think David would celebrate?  First of all, this opens up the door for David to become king!  But perhaps more importantly it means David can stop running for his life.  Yet David doesn’t celebrate.  Rather, David mourns.

This is because David is a competent leader.  David isn’t focused on himself.  David is focused on the Lord’s Anointed, not David’s reputation.  David is competent because he can focus on God’s ways even when the wisdom of the world should tell him that he should really be celebrating.  With competence, we can choose the ways fo God instead of the ways of the world.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment