Monday, September 5, 2011

Year 1, Day 248: Acts 15

Humanity’s Need for Tradition

Okay, before I get into the theology of Acts 15, I need to point something out.  Sometimes the smarter person – or the correct person if they don’t happen to be the smarter person – doesn’t win the discussion.  Some folks come down from Jerusalem and Paul and Barnabas talk about what God is actually doing in the world. 

We know God is with Paul and Barnabas.  They should have won the discussion.  But we know that at the very least the discussion ends in a draw because they are sent off to Jerusalem.  The folks from Jerusalem just aren’t willing to listen to God’s revealed ministry in Paul.  For that matter, there are folks in Jerusalem who don’t want to listen, either.  There are always people who expect God to live up to human tradition rather than realizing that God is continuously “doing new things.”  It’s reality.

Now don’t get me wrong.  God doesn’t tear down and change the definition of “what used to be sin.”  Sin is sin and will always be abhorrent to God.  But cultures change.  People change.  To a God who can look into our hearts and judge us on motivation instead of simply looking at results, why do we need to base God’s hand of movement upon what we expect to happen rather than by looking for where the Holy Spirit is at work?  What needed to be true for one culture or person doesn’t always need to happen in another culture or person. 

God’s big enough to embrace that.  It is we who must change to keep up with God’s calling for us.

In Jerusalem

Now, let’s get to the theology.  Peter and James both stand up in the council and say (paraphrased, of course) “We know that God is going to the Gentiles and working among them whether they become Jews or not.  However, we have some small things you would do well to adhere to so that there is less conflict between you and the Jews who follow Christ.”  Essentially, this isn’t a letter telling them what it takes to become a Christian.  The letter from Jerusalem is a letter about how to get along with their fellow Jews who also follow Christ!  This letter from Jerusalem is not about dogma (or doctrine) but about religious practice.  It is not about good theology but rather about controlling behavior.

In many ways, this letter is about the same thing as Paul says when he tells his churches to not put a stumbling block in the way of someone else.  For example, there is nothing wrong with eating food sacrificed to idols.  Paul says as much in 1 Corinthians 8.  However, some followers of Christ might not be to the place of accepting that since there are no other true gods that sacrificing things to idols does nothing.  So if someone is troubled by my eating food sacrificed to an idol I should stop doing it in their presence.  It’s not about right or wrong, it is about preserving unity among the believers.

I think this is something that modern Christianity has gotten horribly wrong.  We have a right – and duty – to be divided over genuine heresy.  If someone is preaching a false Gospel then pay no heed to them!  Heresy is a dangerous thing and we should let it divide us if the heresy is unable to be corrected.  In many ways, that is precisely what the often quoted passage from Matthew 18 is about.

On the other hand, we as modern Christians are all too quick to let non-heresy issues divide us.  We allow things to separate us when we really should have an attitude of liberty.  We let Satan drive wedges between us because of differences in practice or style when what is really important is Christ and salvation by grace alone.  And I mourn this today.

Division over John Mark

Of course, this chapter ends with Paul and Barnabas splitting up the team.  They are divided over whether to let John Mark – who had left them on the prior trip – go with them.  I hate to say it, but this is a perfect example of what I am talking about.  Paul and Barnabas split up over John Mark!  Is there any question that John Mark is a believer?  Absolutely not!  Is there any question that if willing God can use him?  Absolutely not! 

Sure, Paul is afraid of him deserting the mission again and that fear is warranted.  Barnabas no doubt wants John Mark to have the opportunity to redeem himself and there are also good reasons for this argument.  What is sad is that the division divides them.  Rather than be willing to look for God to use people, Barnabas and Paul fight to have their own way.

I’m not saying God doesn’t use them.  Certainly God uses Paul and Silas.  No doubt God uses Barnabas and John Mark, too.  But wouldn’t it have been best to put their differences aside and follow God?  If God wanted them to separate, wouldn’t it have been better to separate because God actually called them apart rather than because they let their human pride about “getting their way” divide them?

We aren’t perfect.  We do have to be worried about heresy.  But in my opinion it is not our heresy that divides us as Christians as much as it is our pride and our desire to have things “my way.”  And that’s a shame.


<><

8 comments:

  1. This is a great example, as you point out, of devision in the church and its results and reprocussions. It some ways, its "good" to see the same problems we see today that cause divison in the early apostolic church.... it means that what we face is hardly new. - just same "stuff", different day I guess.

    I admit, I get very sour on the church. To me, it seems so clear that the mission trumps the methods as long as we remain pure on the (actually very small) doctrine that is immutable. Yet, schisms and terrible things happen over gray area stuff constantly. Political infighting is all to common. As we see here, paul and Barnabas must leave their ministry to discuss circumcision!

    I don't know this will ever change, so my take away is to be loyal to the mission, avoid stumbing myself or others, and move forward. Someone just told me, for example, we have no reason not to attend church even if it frustrates us (a problem I have from season to season). Just attended the synagogues "as was his custom", and look how messed up they were! In fact, the leaders eventually have him put to death it was so bad there.

    I guess this is my current area of work within me, to figure out how to embrace a church (universal) I so often think is completely lost its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get sour on the church? LOL. Don't we all from time to time? I know I get frustrated when mission always seems to take the back burner to just about everything else. I get frustrated when people who claim to have the same Holy Spirit within them can't ever seem to do anything except the opposite of what "their arch-nemesis in the church" wants to happen. That kind of stuff drives me nuts in the church. If anything were to drive me out of organized religion, mission-killing shenanigans would be it!

    On the other hand - going to worship God is less about me and more about finding Him. As frustrated as I may get - and some days it seems like it is all about the frustration! - I still have to go. God may use me. God may teach me. God may reveal Himself to me. My job is not to determine where God is. My job is to go where I know He promises to be found and make myself available. So there are days where I don't feel like doing religious things but I do them anyway because it is what God would want me to do. That isn't the most satisfying reason, though. I'll confess that!

    For the record, your sentence on "Paul and Barnabas leaving the mission to go talk about circumcision" really hit home. I'd never thought about it like that. But they sure did! The people that the Holy Spirit had called to go into the world had to come back and argue with Jerusalem (and likely set up the conflict that gets Paul jailed and likely killed). I appreciate you steering my thoughts that way today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It struck me too -- because like you a lack of "mission" focus in one of my biggest church issues.

    I don't care about the piano -- if its adequate then its good. I think we have too much in our churches. Dollars spent on "inreach" really frustrate me. And not just dollars -- time and effort perhaps even more. Hours spent arguing about these things, and politickin... AGH!

    It is something I struggle with -- the desire to "do". Every time I get in a group (as I am now), it starts good but its yak yak yak. Let's talk on the road people! Its good to plan, but planning without action is a waste of time.

    And the back biting -- my my -- WWJD?

    In any case, its good to explore these things - I've fought most of my adult life against them, and yet it feels many times like I've made not an ounce of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please understand that all of your thoughts here hit really close to home. As I read your comment I went down my own list and went "Check, check, check ..." Probably what made us such good friends in college. The things that frustrate you are likely the same things that frustrate me.

    Honestly, there is a part of me that really would love to do something like the Jesus People USA did in Chicago a few decades back. (I don't know much about the back-story so I might have made some assumptions that aren't completely right). But here's a brief synopsis.

    There was a group of people that decided to form a "mission-centered commune of Christianity." They sold what they owned (I'm assuming they had to in order to finance it) and bought up a portion of inner-city Chicago. They moved in together (I heard they bought and renovated an old factory/ warehouse ... but I'm shakey on that). They formed a group that was going to have everything in common, be missional focused, and put aside the "My way." arguments. And they did. Hundreds if not thousands of people got on board - although I don't think all joined the commune and lived there, but maybe they did. It seems pretty successful even today. (Again, I don't know the inside details, but they've been going strong for 30-40 years, maybe longer?)

    But yeah, I think I get frustrated most of all with the people who come in and want all the control - but their life centers on the 60 minutes they spend on Sunday morning. They don't even care what happens the other 167 hours of the week as long as their worship hour (or hour and a half) is what they want. Those people really frustrate me. Christianity isn't about "a person's hour for worship." Christianity as about going forth into the world and talking Christ.

    Oh yeah ... the "inreach" stuff. I have come to a new understanding on that. I do inreach here. It is called Wednesday Night Bible Study. (For the record I also have a standing invitation that if that time doesn't work for someone then I'll start up another Bible Study at a time that works for them as long as they can find me 3 other people who will sit down with us). But to me Inreach is stuff like Bible Study, prayer groups, Sunday School, etc. We offer it. If there are people out there who call themselves Christian but can't seem to think it important enough to come ... I can't help that choice. We offer the opportunity. We even remind people about the importance of it. But if they call themselves Christian and can't figure out how to come and enrich their life in a program that is freely offered ...

    Okay, I'm getting riled and on my soapbox, so I best stop now. Thanks for letting me vent a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly on the vent... and I won't add more (though I could!) to the fire, cause then we'll just be yak yak yak'in too.

    But, it is something I struggle with (the amount I do depends on the season I guess). I like the concept you mention, a Acts 2 existence so to speak. But, only if they're about going OUT and not IN.

    I do agree, discipleship is important, prayer meetings, bible study... That's all GOOD inreach, especially if its equipping the saints to preach the gospel w/o words in their real lives.

    Its when (as is recent in my personal experience) we need to redo the stage and the lighting board, and <> and have a fund drive to raise $100k to do so (I think you can likely guess what I gave to this). It's when the lost aren't welcome at church, because they make us saved folks uncomfortable (read about AB Simpson and 1st Presbyterian of NY for one of the best stories of that I know).

    I so truly wish I had the answers -- but I do plan to keep the struggle up -- and I do need to fellowship and go to church even if I don't "like" how my Christian brotheren behave... I know this... after all, we can pick our friends, but not our family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya. On the stage/lighting board - I am assuming that it was something that wasn't "necessary" (as in it was getting ready to fall over or was otherwise unsafe" but rather something someone wanted to "upgrade?" Because I could see if it was unsafe or needed construction repair. But if it was an upgrade - then I think other ministries should get higher calling than that one. Given your words, I am assuming that this is the case. The church was putting its own "technological needs" ahead of doing ministry in the community.

    I have considered lately going back to teaching and starting up a house church. (And I'll confess that's a risky comment to put up in public view, but I'm doing it and dealing with the consequences if anyone reads it and gets the wrong idea). I mean, I've already got the degree and credentials to lead a congregation theologically. But when I think along those lines I also sit back and wonder if the world needs yet another house church. Does the world need yet another fanatic who thinks they can do a better job focusing on true spirituality than can happen inside an organized denomination?

    I don't know. Because the logical answers above are "work inside the established environment" and "slowly shape and change the tradition" back into real spirituality. But then again, I also know that when Christ came he wasn't able to change the establishment without starting something new. And when Paul came around and was called by Christ to go out he wasn't able to change any of the synagogues he went into - he had to start up new churches, too! For me it really is a toss up. I hate the idea of being schismatic. But I also hate the fact that so much of what we call "religion" is actually man's tradition and man's desires getting in the way of Christ.

    Oh well. I hear what you are saying, though. I love my Christian brothers and sisters. I just wish that we would get together more often for study, prayer, and ministry and less often to collect money for building improvements, internal self-interest, and non-Gospel centered work.

    Thanks for the conversation as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear what you're saying good friend -- and yes the old one worked fine in my example -- the new one was just deemed "better". The cost of the project? $100k!!!!

    I understand the house church, and have had that thought. As well as the tent church though (buy a field, and throw a tent up). I still consider the second, because of the wonderful lessons available in that approach.

    However, I am also not an ordained minster(not that it would stop me - because I feel I only really need the blessing of the Lord and not of men). You are. I studied for the ministry (66% completed it), but dropped out of the program due to experiences in the church plant (I don't know that was the RIGHT thing to do - I just know it is what I did).

    Why do I say that? Only you know God's call for you -- and that's the key to me. If called to be a minister, then that's what you should do, and work within. If called to run a home church (or tent church!) then such should you do. I know I am called to the missing personally (as I call it), and the tent church approach would work SO WELL there. I feel led to the Jesus is more than church cause -- which is the group I now associate with -- the yak yak yak people I mentioned.

    So, buddy, I'm right there with you struggling. I admire your courage, and for anyone reading this and John's last post -- Be so very proud you have a minister who asks himself these great questions! So much better to have a man of God who seeks and listens than one more worried about "keeping his job". You are blessed in this.

    John knows this, but for the benefit of others my father is a Minister as well, and I get what these men go through in ways that can't be well summarized. I know many who stay in ministry because of paychecks and health insurance reasons, because these are real concerns.

    John, I am very proud to know you and consider you a friend... I know WHATEVER you decide will only be after prayer and deliberation, and I know because I know you, will be God's will for you. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tom. Unsolicited praise is always the most heartfelt, and I needed that boost lately.

    I don't know if you've read the book Radical by David Platt ... but in that book David talks about an experience in Asia going from house church to house church. He was literally smuggled around under the cover of darkness. He gathered with people who sat in rooms with dirt floors and wanted nothing more than to talk about God all night long. They didn't have fancy churches, big stages, great performances, or anything. Yet I think those are the truly faithful in the world today. I think those are the ones that Jesus lives among the most clearly.

    It saddens me to say it, by I envy their life. They have a small group of 10 or 12 people who desperately want the Gospel to be among them. I live in a world that wants entertainment and church tradition to be among us.

    And I know. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I know.

    For the record, I agree with you that ordination is simply the approval of man. Really, ordination is a piece of paper saying "I can go among churches of X name and preach freely among them." And when stated that way, ordination is nothing. I have God's approval to go among the world and preach. Why worry about being able to go among churches of a certain group? So I support you in that one need not be "ordained" to proclaim God. But one must study the Word intimately, that's for sure!

    So where's this field you are going to buy? ;) Too bad it isn't anywhere west of Charlottesville. I have a number of friends up there who are gathering and worshiping for what seems to be all the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete