Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Year 1, Day 264: Judges 3

God Rallies the Canaanites

Isn’t it interesting that Judges 3 is specific about how God used the very Canaanites that the Hebrew people were not willing to drive out?  God used them to expose the true character of the Hebrew people!  God used them to put “other gods” before His people and examine His people in whom they would really worship.  For the record, their hearts were not pure and they strayed to the other gods quite frequently.

As I say almost daily, we are no different.  The influences I do not drive out of my life become a testimony to God about my character.  When I spend time playing that video game instead of reading God’s Word, when I spend time watching TV instead of spiritually relating to my wife, or when I spend time engrossed in my anger instead of seeking to forgive – all of these are evidence to God that my heart is not purely focused on His ways.  That’s what I love about reading God’s Word.  True conviction about one’s life is found in the study of God’s Word.

But rest assured.  Just as God used the Canaanites to test His people, God will also use the things that I am tempted by to examine my true nature.  Thanks be to God that He is forgiving when I am repentant!

Othniel

Next, Othniel comes on the scene.  I find it interesting that the time described in this section regarding the Hebrew bondage is not ever mentioned among the other times the Hebrew people went into bondage.  Sure, it was only 8 years.  But they served the king of Mesopotamia like they earlier served the Pharaoh in Egypt and later the king in Babylon.  God’s people are oppressed because they got themselves into trouble and they cry out.  Then God hears them and sends a deliverer.  It should be right up there with the other captivity stories!

But my focus with Othniel is actually on a bit of hypothesis.  The Bible makes it sound so easy, as if Othniel shows up on the scene and of course the Mesopotamian king just backs off.  But I highly doubt that’s really what happened.  Othniel had to do some grunt work.  He had to organize the people.  He had to revolt.  He probably had to fight a few battles and more than a few skirmishes.  I’m willing to bet it was hard work.

How often do we think this way about what God has called us to do in life?  As a pastor, I find myself struggling against my congregation quite frequently – not struggling because they are wrong or because I don’t like them, rather because I love them and I want them to be more spiritual for God!  But it is a struggle!

I think it is good to remind ourselves from time to time that Moses struggled against the Pharaoh (external struggle) and the Hebrew people (internal struggle).  Joshua struggled against the Canaanites as well as the sin of the Hebrew people.  No doubt Othniel had his own external and internal struggles.  Why should it be any different for us?  So those of you struggling between the “reality of the church around you” and the “vision of what it could become” – know that the struggle is an inherent part of the process!

Ehud

With Ehud we see a similar story. The Hebrew people follow their hearts and end up in captivity under the Moabites.  God sends a delivered in Ehud.  Through the judge the people are saved.  The story sounds much the same as Othniel’s story – with the exception that here we have an account of the king’s death, graphic as it may be.

However, what I’d like to spend the rest of my time doing is talking about Eglon.  Eglon was used by God to bring the Hebrew people under captivity.  Eglon was used by God to teach the Hebrew people about faithfulness.  However, Eglon was not God’s servant!  There is a difference between serving God and being used by God.  One must not think that just because God uses someone that they are inherently God’s servant at all!

Eglon brings the Hebrew people under captivity, but he has no desire to worship the God of the Hebrew people.  This I find ironic because when the Hebrew people allowed the Canaanites to exist as their servants, their hearts were swayed to foreign gods; but when Eglon has the Hebrews as slaves his heart is not swayed at all!  Why is it that when the people of God rule over the people of the world that few people convert but when the people of God are under foreign power they fall astray quickly?

The reason is simple: to follow God means to deny oneself whereas to follow manmade gods means to indulge even more in oneself.  Why would Eglon be swayed to worship a God who is going to ask Eglon to be less self-centered?  No, Eglon is going to desire the worship of the Moabite gods who will encourage Eglon to continue to do what makes sense to him, what feels good, and what feels right.

Because of this, Eglon is used by God without becoming God’s servant.  And this explains to us why people will find it much easier to fall out of worship of God than to fall into worship of God.  Worshipping God means denying oneself as the center of one’s life.  Worshipping manmade gods means indulging in one’s self.


<><

No comments:

Post a Comment