Thursday, September 8, 2011

Year 1, Day 251: Acts 18

Paul’s Humanity on Display

As I’ve studied Acts in depth this past year with my church, Acts 18 has become one of my favorite chapters.  There is so much powerful stuff happening here.

First, Paul gets fed up with the Jews.  What does Paul say?  “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.”  And what does the Lord say to Paul one night in a vision?  “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent.  I am with you and no one will attack you to harm you.  I have many in this city who are my people.”

Now, it is easy to see this passage as Jesus coming to Paul and comforting him.  And while there is an element of the vision meant to encourage Paul to keep on working, I don’t actually see this as predominantly in the light of comfort.  These words from Christ are chastisement – it is chastisement to the nth degree!  Here’s how I get there.

Paul says that he is done with the people and not going to speak to them anymore.  Jesus comes to Paul and contradicts precisely what Paul said he was going to no longer do!  Jesus tells Paul to not be afraid and to continue speaking!  The verbs in Jesus’ speech (“Do not be afraid” and “Go on speaking”) are all imperatives – meaning that they are commands, not suggestions!  This is no discussion; Jesus is handing out marching orders to a soldier who out of his own humanity has found himself out of line! 

Then in a move similar to Elijah being humbled on the mountain
, Jesus reminds Paul just how many people He has in Corinth. (See 1 Kings 19:9-18, and especially compare 1 Kings 19:18 with the end of Acts 18:10.) In a moment of frustration, Paul has whined and complained.  In a moment of divine judgment God laid down the smack in a very obvious manner.  Ouch. 

In all honesty, no wonder Paul needed to take an oath when he left Corinth and headed to Cenchreae!  I fully believe that Paul’s oath in Cenchreae was a time for Paul to recommit himself to the Lord after his stumble in Corinth.

I know it.  I’ve been there.  I’ve felt what Paul felt in Corinth.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said to God “Lord, this calling is too hard.  I can’t do it.  Please let me quit.”  And God has always replied to me that I can do it, to shut up, stop whining, and get back to work proclaiming Jesus and making disciples.  The life of a Christian – especially a Christian leader – is not easy.  Everyone will want to quit.  It is not our love that will keep us going.  It is not our willpower that will keep us going.  What keeps us going is God’s less-than-subtle reminders to quit whining and remember that He has called us.  It is His calling that keeps us going, not anything within us.

Priscilla and Aquila

I also love this chapter because it is here we meet Priscilla and Aquila.  The reason I love this couple is because they embody Galatians 3:28.  In them there is no Jew/Greek, slave/free, or male/female.  There is no power struggle among them.  They are a couple out to do the work of the Lord and completely open to His calling. 

In Corinth they readily receive Paul and welcome him in ministry in spite of his love for the Gentiles.  They were Jews, remember, although they certainly agreed with Paul’s perspective.  They embrace Apollos when he comes to Ephesus and teaches.  In fact, although Apollos is a good teacher they also feel the need to catch him up to speed.  They do not reject Apollos in his lack; they embrace him and help him.

Furthermore, notice in that passage that Priscilla’s name appears first.  It is presumed that she even took the lead in teaching Apollos!  How’s that for women in leadership and their ability to teach men?  Remember, Apollos was no fledgling in God, either!  In Priscilla and Aquila I find no contention, no need for human tradition, no hierarchy, no need for anything except sensing the call of the Lord.  They are an inspiration to me.

Crispus

In this chapter we also hear of the conversion of Crispus, who may well be the one mentioned in 1 Corinthians 1:14.  A leader of the synagogue listens to Paul!  This conversion is about as important to me as the conversion of Nicodemus under Jesus. 

Just because a person is a leader of the other side and full of knowledge doesn’t imply that they are lost forever and unable of conversion.  Yes, it is difficult to win the leadership of the opposition.  In all the places Paul did ministry we don’t hear of too many leaders converting to Christ.  For that record, not too many of the Sanhedrin came to follow Christ, either.  But here is a case where one does convert!  And it is absolute music to my ears.  There is hope for those in leadership!

Gaius

For the record, as long as we are talking about Corinthian Jews in this chapter I should state that many people assume that Titus Justus’ full name was Gaius Titus Justus.  This might make him the Gaius in 1 Corinthians 1:14 as well as his host as mentioned in Romans 16:23.  Of course, the proof of this point is not certain.


<><

No comments:

Post a Comment