Saturday, March 24, 2012

Year 2, Day 83: 1 Corinthians 15

One Thing Remains

Yay!  I get to open this blog with an absolutely blunt point.  {I love being blunt when it is appropriate.}  1 Corinthians 15 begins with Paul reminding the Corinthian people about the foundation of their salvation.  Let’s be clear about this point.  We are saved because Christ died on the cross for our sins.  Period.  We are saved because Christ died on the cross for our sins.  There is no other appropriate answer or explanation.

Nothing else matters.  It doesn’t matter when I was baptized.  {It actually doesn’t matter that I was baptized.  I should be baptized in accordance with Christ’s command, but if for some reason I die before I can be baptized it isn’t like that is going to negate my salvation!}  It also doesn’t matter what denomination I belong to.  Whether I am Lutheran or Baptist – or some amalgamation of the two! – is irrelevant so long as I put my faith in the fact that I am saved because Christ died on the cross for my sins.  It doesn’t matter which Lord’s Prayer I say – or even if I choose not to say it!  Whether I believe communion to be just a symbol or to be the real presence of Christ or even to actually change into body and blood doesn’t add or subtract to my salvation.  I am saved because Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins.  Period.

Gospel

Now, let’s talk about this Gospel.  First, notice that Paul talks about the news in terms of the Corinthians having received the Gospel.  Nobody ever initiates salvation.  I am not saved because on such-and-such a day I accepted Christ into my heart.  I am saved because approximately 2,000 years ago Jesus Christ died for me.  I can say that on such-and-such a day Christ’s death took on a new importance to me, but that day is not the day upon which I was saved!  That is the day that I received my salvation because God initiated my salvation a few millennia ago.  The point of this is to always acknowledge that I am saved because God comes to me and God draws me to Him. 

I do not ever initiate with God.  I always respond to God’s initial action.  I receive salvation.  I receive the Gospel.  You receive salvation.  You receive the Gospel. None of us initiate.

Without Result

After talking about receiving salvation in verse 1, Paul talks about the Corinthians’ standing in the faith, holding fast, and not believing in vain.  Let’s talk about that sequence a little.  The Greek word for “hold fast” is katexo (κατέχω) and it literally means “to continue in belief, with an added implication of acting in accordance to that belief.”  Let’s combine this with the fact that at the end of the expression Paul adds “unless you believed in vain.”  The Greek word that is often translated as “in vain” is actually eike (εκ) and it means “pertaining to being without result.”  So quite literally, here is what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:2. “… and by which you are being saved if you continue to believe and practice in accordance to your beliefs – except unless you all believed without result.”

Stop for a moment and let that sink in.  Paul seems to be indicating that results are a natural part of the process.  We are not saved because of the results, of course.  As I said above, we are saved because Christ died for our sins on the cross.  But because we are saved, we believe.  And because we believe, we produce results from our belief.  For those of you who love the book of James, you should be very pleased with that last sentence!  I’m not saying that a person without works is not saved – that is for God to judge.  But I am saying that producing results is a natural part of the Holy Spirit bringing us to the Father through the Son.

Gah!  I’ve spent so much time on so few verses.  My space is almost gone and I haven’t moved past the first section.  Oh well, this is why I love Paul.  He is so precise that there is so much jam-packed into every verse.

Raised From the Dead

Much of the rest of this chapter is spent on Christ being evidence of being raised from the dead.  From the Greek construction of the verb in verse 4 – that it is in the perfect tense, passive voice – we are led to assume that the work of Christ’s resurrection is the work of the Father.  Christ was raised by the Father as an ultimate sign of His power over death.  The really cool part is that if God can raise Christ, then we can trust His promise!  God can make good on His Word.  God can raise us, too!  Christ is the first fruits, and as Paul says the rest of us shall be raised when Christ returns!

Then Paul gives us this beautiful means for understanding the resurrection.  None of us can possibly know what the incorruptible body of the life to come will look or feel like.  But we can have a hint.  Think of the seed.  When we put a seed in the ground, it sprouts roots and a stem.  It grows to become something that nobody could have guessed from the appearance of the seed.  But it was within the seed the whole time.  So too it will be with us.  None of us know what eternal life will look and feel like, but we can know it is within us.  That truth, humbleness, spirituality, and faith that is within us will grow and sprout into something amazing.  They will grow and sprout into something downright awesome.  I can’t wait to see what God has in store for all of us!

<>< 

ASIDE: 1 Corinthians 15:29-34 is a very confusing passage.  We wonder, “what does it mean to be baptized for the dead?”  I cannot explain this with absolute confidence.  But I can explain this deep enough to shed understanding.

It could be that Paul is attempting to denounce an ancient practice that gratefully never made it into mainstream Christianity.  The practice is called “vicarious baptism.”  There were (and always have been!) sects that believed that if a person believed but was not baptized that they couldn’t go to heaven.  Thus, people would be baptized “in their place and under their name.”  It sounds a bit strange, and in truth it actually is.  How another person assuming my name and being baptized for me would actually mean anything to God is beyond my comprehension.  But there were ancient sects that practiced this belief and it never was accepted fully.  The reason it is never fully accepted is because it would violate the whole “we are saved solely because of Jesus’ death on the cross” teaching.  After all, if the absence of my baptism could keep me from heaven, then Jesus’ death must not have been fully sufficient!  And that, my friends is anathema and flat-out wrong.  Christ’s death is all I need.  The doctrine of vicarious baptism is a teaching that needs to be refuted.

There is a second possibility about what Paul might mean.  Paul might mean that people who are baptized are taking the place of those who were a part of the church but are now dead.  In other words, suppose a new convert steps into the church and picks up their calling from Christ.  Usually, that calling is really just picking up the mantle that was laid down by someone who died.  Let me give an example.  Jesus died (and then ascended into heaven).  With His absence, the apostles had to step up and pick up where Jesus left off.  But they eventually died, so others had to step up.  This pattern continued to the point that all of us in God’s kingdom are just picking up the mantle from those who went before us.


I don’t have a great answer as to which of these is what Paul actually means – because both are factual understandings of history.  So I present them to you to decide what you think Paul is talking about.  My money is on the latter explanation, though.  It seems to make a fair amount of sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment