Thursday, January 22, 2015

Year 5, Day 22: 2 Kings 24

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Obedience

  • Obedience: Genuine and satisfying obedience comes out of our identity.  Our true identity comes only from our Father.

I was a little stuck on what to write for today.  In the end, I settled on obedience.  And I may just write about it tomorrow.  We’ll have to see.

So why do I focus on obedience when we are studying the fall of the Hebrew people?  It’s quite simple, actually.  The Hebrew nations fall because they are not obedient.  They fall because they did not listen to God and heed His voice.  Their lack of desire to be obedient to anything but their own whims is at the heart of this chapter.  The end comes because of a lack of obedience.

In this light, I also need to lift up the character of God.  Notice that this chapter is about the faithfulness of God, too.  God promises destruction as a result of a lack of obedience.  This chapter is about God keeping His Word.  God is powerful enough to keep His promises.

So I’m left asking.  If I believe God is powerful enough to put His own people into exile, why am I not obedient?  Why do I still pursue my own desires?  Am I like the Hebrew people who hear the Word of God but think that God won’t actually punish me for my disobedience?  I need to always remember that while God is absolutely gracious and forgiving, He is also a God who allows us to dwell in the consequences of our sin when necessary and appropriate.

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment