Thursday, January 29, 2015

Year 5, Day 29: Romans 6

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: King

  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

I had a hard time choosing the topic today.  Not because I didn’t know where to go but because I saw three options.*  Ultimately, I settled on the idea of King.  Let’s look at what Paul is saying in Romans 6 about how we relate to God as King.

Paul makes it really clear in this passage that we are not free.  We submit to something in our life.  The question is, to whom or to what do we submit?  Do I submit to the perspective of the world?  Do I submit to the value systems of the culture around me?  Or do I submit to God as king over my life, giving Him the sovereignty to rule over my life as I follow Him and His ways?

Paul makes it very clear in verse 16 that we are slaves.  We are either slaves to righteousness or slaves to sin.  I am either submitting to the world and its empty promises or I am submitting to the one true king.  I think it is important to make this distinction clearly, because it is really easy to say one thing but live the lifestyle of the other.  I think it is important to stop and pause and make sure that I am living as if God is king over my life.

<>< 

* The three options I was choosing between were:
  1. King: Who am I submitting to, God or some other power in my life?
  2. Obedience: Am I truly willing to be obedient – which as Paul says leads to righteousness?  Or do I talk a good talk but I am really not obedient to God but rather obedient to my own will?
  3. Identity: What is my identity?  Do I consider myself a person who is free to do whatever they want and be whatever I want to be?  Or is my identity coming from God as I submit to Him as His slave in righteousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment