Friday, January 23, 2015

Year 5, Day 23: 2 Kings 25

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Identity

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.

Much of what I have to say today is inspired by my blog post that I made three years ago.  You can follow the link at the top if you would like to read it.  I would encourage you to do so.

Today we get to watch God’s chosen people lose everything.  The king’s sons are all slaughtered just before the king’s eyes are put out.  The walls of Jerusalem are torn down.  The temple is ransacked and burned.  The impressive people – that is, anyone with a useful skill – is deported to Babylon.  Anything of any importance is either destroyed or taken.  God allows this to happen to His chosen people because of their disobedience.  We talked about that yesterday.

All of this makes me wonder the same thought that I had three years ago.  God lets go of everything that the Hebrew people had gained over the last millennia (or 5 centuries if you only want to count back as far as David).  God lets His temple get burned.  God lets His special city be broken.  Is there any clearer message to humanity that the stuff of the world isn’t nearly as important to God as our relationship with Him?  God is willing to let all the stuff go away to give the people a chance to return to Him spiritually.

So, am I?  Am I willing to give up the world for a chance to know God and invite other to know Him, too?  Is my identity rooted in God or in the stuff around?

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment