Sunday, January 25, 2015

Year 5, Day 25: Romans 2

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Challenge

  • Challenge: God does not merely wish us to be in relationship with Him as we are.  He challenges us to grow, stretch, and transform as we take on the mantle of being His representatives to this world.

If you ever want to feel challenge in your life, read the last half of Romans 2.  You cannot escape Paul’s words without feeling the conviction of the Holy Spirit upon you.  Paul’s accusation against those who follow God is spot on as much as we’d rather deny it.  As Brennan Manning beautifully says:

“The Greatest Single Cause of Atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips but who walk out the door and deny Him with their lifestyle.  That is what the world finds simply unbelievable.”

This is really what Paul is talking about.  We have no ability to judge one another.  But we should take every opportunity to judge ourselves!  Only God can determine whether another person’s soul will rest eternally with Him or not.  But I have every invitation to look into my own life and discern where I am following my own desires and not living in obedience to His will.  I should be examining my life for sin as God defines it.

The world is absolutely looking.  The world is absolutely looking to see where I am hypocritical.  Let’s face it; they really don’t have to look that hard to see the evidence of sin in my life.  So my task is to look where they look, see the sin, and rise up to the challenge of wrestling against it and removing it from my life.  That’s the challenge of Romans 2.  Am I willing to actually obey God, recognize my sin, confess it, and repent?

<><


No comments:

Post a Comment