Friday, April 10, 2015

Year 5, Day 100: Job 6

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Father, King

  • Father: This is the pinnacle of the Covenant Triangle.  God is the Father.  He is the creator.  He is love.  Our relationship with the Father is rooted in His love for us.  We get our identity through Him.  When the Father is in our life, obedience becomes clear.
  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

As I reread my blog post from 3 years ago in conjunction with this post, I couldn’t help feeling shame for the point at the beginning when Job thinks of God as an adversary.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not judging Job here.  I didn’t feel the shame for Job.  I felt the shame for me.  I know what it feels like to be attacked and accused and to have one’s life thrown in turmoil.  I know what it is like to lay the blame at the feet of God.  I know what it is like to think that if God is all powerful then He’s directly responsible for any turmoil in my life – or at least responsible for not preventing it.

Just so I’m clear, although I know what that feels like, I also know that it is flat out wrong to feel that way.  Hence, why I feel shame.  I do it, but after the fact I know it’s wrong.

Let’s look at what God has done.  First of all, He created us in the first place.  We shouldn’t even exist.  But we have life because He created.  As far as my own life, I need to say that God has always provided in the midst of turmoil.  God has always had a “next thing” once the turmoil is done.  God has never failed to bring the next opportunity to serve Him into my life.  God has sheltered me through turmoil and brought other things along my path.  What a great reason to praise His name rather than accuse Him!

You see, we don’t worship a God who peppers us with His arrows and gives us poison to drink.  In our short-sightedness we may think that occasionally.  But we serve a God who is a Father to us and who provides opportunities after the turmoil has passed.  We serve a God who is King over the universe and set it in motion in the first place.  It is unfortunately far too easy to lose sight of both of these details.

We may lose sight of this fact, but that doesn’t make God any less of a Father or a King. In fact, it makes Him even more righteous because He desires to remain our Father and our King even when we turn our back upon Him and attribute things to Him for which He is not responsible.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment