Friday, April 24, 2015

Year 5, Day 114: Job 20

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Approval

  • Approval: We all need to feel as though we are accepted.  When we seek the approval of God, our Up is in the right place.  But when we seek the approval of other people besides God, we open the door to pursuing false gods and risk putting someone or something other than God in our Up position.

I think the human need for approval is inherently behind Zophar’s words in the opening part of this chapter.  Zophar is offended by Job’s words and Job’s defiant stance that he hasn’t done anything wrong.  Zophar is offended because Job refuses to accept a commonly held opinion by human beings: people who live nice lives must be loved by God because of their righteousness.  To put it another way: people who lives seemingly cursed lives must be despised by God because of their sin.

I think approval is at the root of this belief.  We all want to live good lives.  We also want to live a life believing that we are good people.  How can we justify our dual need to have God’s approval but still be able to live up a life to our own financial and communal prosperity?  We do it by equating prosperity with God’s love.

You see, if I am living a prosperous life and I want it to continue, then I need to convince myself that God must bless me because I’ve chosen wisely.  Therefore, I convince myself that I have God’s approval.

On the other hand, if I want to judge people who are living more poorly than I am – because I want to justify my need to stay at my current level – I can do so by declaring that God must not love them as much because they aren’t as blessed.  Therefore, it is possible for human beings to equate fewer resources with a lack of God’s blessing.  It’s completely wrong, but we do it all the time as human beings.

Zophar doesn’t want to be wrong.  Zophar doesn’t want to change.  Zophar doesn’t want to conceive of the possibility that he might not have as much approval as Job does.  So Zophar equates living a life of difficulty with living outside of God’s approval.  Sin Job seems to be cursed, Zophar can stand high and mighty in his opinion that he’s right and Job is wrong.

It makes me wonder what Zophar would have thought of Paul or Jesus.  Can we really equate living a life of prosperity with having God’s approval?

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment