Thursday, April 2, 2015

Year 5, Day 92: 2 Corinthians 10

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Kingdom

  • Kingdom: We live in God’s creation, but it is fallen.  We do not yet live in the fullness of God’s Kingdom.  But we do know that the Kingdom of God is drawing near.  We do get to see glimpses of the kingdom each and every time that God works in us and through us as He tries to demonstrate Himself to the world.

I love the opening verses of 2 Corinthians 10.  In these verses we get a true sense of how Paul saw the world.  He walked around in flesh and blood; but he lived a spiritual battle.  Paul walked around in God’s creation, but he knew that this creation was a battlefield.  It is a battlefield between the ways of the world as influence by Satan and the ways of God as influenced by Christ.  Make no bones about it.  We are all flesh and blood.  But this is a battlefield.

Every once and a while I think it is important for people to stop and ask for which kingdom they are fighting.  Am I really fighting for the kingdom of God?  Are my decisions based on the advancement of God’s kingdom?  Or are my decisions based on my own feelings and my own desires?  Am I pursuing what God desires or what I desire?  Is life about God’s mission or is it about me?

I also think that it is important for our Christian gathering places to ask this same question.  When I go to church, is the body of Christ focused on God’s mission or is it focused on self-promotion?  Is it about living a godly life or being together in whatever way suits us and our style and our desires?  I think it is important for us to always ask which kingdom our churches are promoting.

After all, that’s exactly what Paul is doing here to the Corinthian church.  He is reminding them that while they’ve begun to make life about themselves, godliness is about living for God’s agenda.  We are to be working for God’s kingdom all the time.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment