Sunday, December 25, 2016

Year 6, Day 359: Revelation 15-16

Theological Commentary: Click Here


This is an interesting pair of chapters to read on Christmas.  On this day, most Christians are celebrating as they remember the coming of Christ in revealing and fulfilling God’s plan of salvation.  On this day, in incredible juxtaposition, we read about the seven plague judgments in the book of Revelation.

What makes this an unusual comparison?  Do you hear how many times in the judgments that we are told about the people of the earth cursing God?  That’s what makes this such an unusual set of chapters to read on Christmas.

I can’t say that I blame the people.  If I were being subjected to the kinds of things that are talked about in these chapters, I’d probably be less than happy, too.  Granted, I’d hope that I wouldn’t curse God.  But then again, as a follower of God I don’t think I would be in that position anyways.

The reason that this is important is because humanity’s true colors are finally showing through.  Here in judgment, humanity finally reacts as we think humanity should.  Here we see humanity curse God when He judges in righteousness.  This is why we are guilty.  This is why God is righteous in judgment.  I can understand why humanity curses God; but just because I understand it doesn’t make it the right decision!

However, before leaving this chapter, I want to mention the seventh plague.  While this one does contain more vengeance than the seventh trumpet and the seventh seal did, do you see how the seventh plague is different than the other six?  Once more we see the hidden message.  These judgments are complete.  As the seventh day of creation signified completeness, the seventh plague likewise signifies that this round of judgments are complete as well.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment