Monday, December 12, 2016

Year 6, Day 346: Daniel 12

Theological Commentary: Click Here


“Seal up these words.”  I am always bothered within my core being when I hear words like this.  My teacher nature wants to have access to all the data.  In fact, I hate surprises.  I like to see what is coming and be able to prepare for it.  My mathematical nature wants to be able to compute things like odds and chances.  I want to be able to make good decisions.

When I hear words like, “Seal up these words,” I know that something is being held back.  However, this is just how God works.  Did Abraham know what God was doing when He called him out of Ur of the Chaldeans?  Who knew what God was doing when His people went into Egypt?  Who knew what He was doing when He told them to invade the promised land.  I can keep going through example after example until I come to Christ.  In fact, who knew what God was doing in Christ, even among His own disciples!

No, the reality is that our God is a “come and see” God much more than He is a “let me explain it to you so you can make a good decision” God.  God knows that we cannot possible understand everything that He knows.  It’s just not possible for us to know everything so that His ways make sense beforehand.  The truth is that often God’s work is best viewed and appreciated in retrospect.  It is most often after God’s hand moves that we sit back and say, “God is really awesome.”

That’s what God is getting at when He talks to Daniel.  People wouldn’t understand anyways.  They will come to Him and seek wisdom.  They will come to Him for help.  As they do, God’s plan will be revealed to them in stages and pieces as they can comprehend.  This is why we truly shouldn’t be bothered by the fact that people are occasionally told to seal up what God has revealed to them.  One day, it will all make sense.  That day doesn’t need to be today.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment