Monday, December 12, 2011

Year 1, Day 346: 1 Kings 5

David

As I look at this passage regarding the preparations for the building of the Temple, I have two main thoughts.  The first is a call back to remember the first time that the Temple is brought up.  It is David who wants to build God a permanent temple in Jerusalem.  David doesn’t feel right dwelling in a fancy house that God had provided while God Himself dwells in a movable tabernacle (or tent).  Yet, God does not want the Temple built by David because David has been a military general and his deeds are tainted with shed blood.

I think it is good to keep in mind that this project is done largely because of David.  It was David’s idea.  In fact, if we read a parallel passage from the story as recorded by the Chronicler (1 Chronicles 28:9-21) we understand that what is happening here is largely David’s plan and David’s idea. 

Solomon has heard the desires of his father and is putting them into place.  This is a testimony of Solomon’s obedience and love for his father’s wishes.  But it ultimately is David’s doing.

Composite Workforces

The other thought that I had as I read this passage is far more profound.  Notice that the building of the Temple happens through the efforts of Jews, Sidonians {Tyre and Sidon are often linked together in the Bible}, and probably Canaanite slaves {see 1 Kings 9:20-22}.  The building of the Temple of the Lord was completed through a work force made up of different nations!

Maybe you can sense where I am going with this.  Let me say this even more bluntly.  The workforce that built the Temple of the Lord was made up of Jews and Gentiles.  There, I think that says it all.  God’s permanent dwelling on earth – well, as permanent as it would ever be – was built by the hands of the Jews and the Gentiles.  I think this is quite significant.

Of course, you probably also realize the foreshadowing that is going on here.  It took both Jews and Gentiles to build God’s stone and wood Temple.  After Jesus came to the earth and died for our sins, it would take both Jews and Gentiles to build His Church, too.  Here in this chapter we find another significant story indicating God’s desire to include the Gentiles in His work.

Each time I come across a passage like this I am amazed at how the Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day missed the point of stories like this.  I also wonder how the earlier Christian leaders that dealt with Paul’s ministry to the Gentiles also missed stories like this.  But I don’t linger in that place very long without also pointing the finger at myself.  I wonder what it is that I miss.  So for the rest of the blog I am going to focus in that area.

What I Miss

There are two stories that haunt me more than any other among the teachings of Jesus found in the New Testament.  The first is found in Matthew 25:31-46 – the parable of the sheep and the goats.  I often wonder as to whether I am a sheep or a goat.  I mean, I truly believe we should be feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and welcoming the stranger.  But I find that so much of what I do as a pastor – or even more generically as a Christian – has absolutely nothing to do with any of these tasks.  Sure, I might be able to say that as a pastor I am “making disciples” – and that is another avenue of work that God wants done.  But how much administration do I do?  How much arguing over theology found in constitutions or mission statements eats up all my energy when I should be doing ministry according to Matthew 25?  Do I actually believe constitutions and mission statements are more important than mission?  Let it not be so!  But then why is my time spent so heavily in things that are of such little significance?

I think I am no different than the Jewish leaders who miss the importance of the Gentiles in this passage from 1 Kings 5.  Like them, I miss some of the most important theological teachings myself.  Some of the easiest lessons to hear are the ones I struggle implementing.

The other story that haunts me is found in Matthew 19:16-30 - the rich young ruler, see also Mark 10:17-31 and Luke 18:18-30.  Here is a person who seems to do all the right things but he can’t let go of his own life in order to truly become a disciple.  Can there be a clearer message than this story?  We can either hold onto the world or hold onto Jesus.  All of Jesus’ disciples gave up their lives; there is no wiggle room for this.  Yet how often am I more like the rich young ruler in that I want to follow God’s ways and “do” all the right things but I’m not really willing to fully buy into what Jesus is teaching? 

Sure, I do my blog daily.  I preach, teach, make disciples, baptize, argue the faith, listen to those who need to be listened, etc.  But I have a home that is far larger than what I need.  I have a car that is nicer than what I need.  I eat more food than I need.  I have satellite TV with more channels than I need.  I spend more time being entertained than I need.  And what’s worse is that I am reluctant to give any of that up.  In the end, am I any different than the rich young man?

Yes, in the end I do think that I am no different than the Jewish leaders who miss the importance of the inclusion of Gentiles in this passage from 1 Kings 5.  I miss the implementation of some of the most important theological teachings myself.  So I cannot stand in judgment of them.

But I can see my faults and confess them.  I can see the importance of God using Gentiles and Jews to bring about His kingdom.  I can see the need for God to call out to sinners and call them home while knowing their imperfections even before He called them.  I think all of these lessons are good ones to take from this story in 1 Kings.  We don’t know everything, and we should be open to the moving of the Holy Spirit especially when the moving of the Holy Spirit takes a path different than we would initially anticipate. 

It was okay for Gentiles to help in the construction of the Temple.  It’s okay for me to give up my luxurious life and adopt a life of humble service to God.  It’s okay to abandon the expectations of the world and its leaders in order to embrace the greater expectations of God.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment