Thursday, December 15, 2011

Year 1, Day 349: 1 Kings 8

Confession

Okay, I am cynical today.  I apologize about it beforehand.  But I am cynical about all this sacrificing and prayer going on in this chapter.  I find it odd that here we have a whole chapter dedicated to the lavishness of the thousands of sacrifices offered up and the verbose prayers offered up – yet this passage stands in contrast to Hosea 6:6 and Psalm 51:15-17.  God desires steadfast love rather than sacrifice.  God desires knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.  The psalmist says that God does not delight in sacrifice or he would give them.  Rather, God delights in a broken spirit and a contrite heart.

So I pause for a minute and reflect on everything that we read today.  How did God react to such an event?

God’s Reaction

Well, we do know that the presence of the Lord filled the Temple.  So certainly God did not react negatively.  I don’t want anyone to think that I am saying Solomon’s lavishness was sinful in the eyes of God.  Certainly God came and dwelled within the Temple, so at the very least God accepted and received what was offered up to Him.  But was God convinced about Solomon?  I’ll leave that question lingering for the day, but go ahead and read His reaction to Solomon in 1 Kings 9:3-9 and decide for yourself how convinced God is based on the sacrifices offered.  You’ll get my opinion tomorrow.

Self-Reflection

I do want to pause, though, and turn the thoughts of this chapter onto myself and allow you to turn it onto yourself.  How often do I give God what I think He wants rather than giving God what He truly wants?  I think He wants me to come and worship once a week.  I think He wants me to cut a check to the church for 10% of my income.  I think He wants me to acknowledge that He’s here, to sing songs about Him, and to say some Creed confessing the He’s real. 

Don’t get me wrong.  None of these things are bad; just like the plethora of sacrifices that Solomon offered are not bad.  But is that what God really wants?

What do Hosea and the Psalmist seem to indicate God wants? 
  • God wants me to pursue Him in knowledge.  God wants me to have an unquenchable thirst that cannot get enough of Him.  God wants me to beat down the doors of my spiritual leaders and absorb all they can give to me.  God wants me to wear out the covers of the theological collections to which I have access so that I can learn more about Him.
  • God wants me to love Him steadfastly through the day and the weeks and the years, not just periodically when it is convenient.
  • God wants me to be broken before Him – how often do I present myself as broken at any time, much less before Him?
  • God wants me to be contrite.  How often am I genuinely sorrowful for my wrongdoings?

God wants so much more than what I choose to give Him.  He definitely wants something different than what I think He wants.  I think I can define a portion of my life to give to God.  But He wants it all.  Do I actually think that I can please Him with anything until I have given Him everything?

Do I give God what He wants?  Or do I give Him what I think He wants?  Do I give Him a glorious worship service when He wants a genuine one?  Do I focus on the beauty of the worship when God would rather me focus on a deeply spiritual contrition and grace?  Am I so worried about doing it “right” according to the eyes of mankind that I don’t give a moment’s thought to whether it is really right in the eyes of God?  I can have the most glorious worship, filled with the most glorious procession/recession, using the most glorious gold implements, dressed in the most glorious robes, speaking with the most glorious charisma, distributing the most glorious bread and wine.  But if my heart is not contrite, if my heart is not truly following God, if I do not genuinely pursue God – what worth is any of it?

Back to Solomon

In this aspect I find it extremely telling that so much of Solomon’s prayer focuses on repentance and forgiveness.  Solomon knows the depth of the sinfulness of humanity.  Solomon understands that human beings always focus on the wrong things.  Solomon’s prayer is a plea for God to never stop turning us back to Him and to never stop relenting from the punishment we truly deserve.

Yet, this is the man who ultimately finds himself following other gods.  Oh, how we can say all the rights words and do all the right actions and make such an incredible show about our faith.  But if it does not genuinely live in our heart, what is it worth?  All the knowledge in the world about repentance is useless unless we remember to repent and turn back to the Lord.  All the pomp and circumstance is pointless unless we do it with genuine contrition and a genuine desire to seek the Lord.

Deuteronomy 4:29 tells us: “You will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.”  Isaiah 55:6 tells us: “Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near.”  There is a warning in both of these passages.  We will find the Lord when we seek after Him with all of our heart.  And we best seek Him now when He can be found.  Who among us knows for sure that we can put it off until tomorrow?  Pursue Him fully today.  Give everything today.  For Christ sake, don’t wait any longer!

<>< 


{And yes, I mean it when I say “for Christ’s sake.”  It’s not just some expression, I mean do it for Christ!}

No comments:

Post a Comment