Sunday, December 25, 2011

Year 1, Day 359: 1 Kings 18

Obadiah

Today we have a choice to make.  I find myself torn this morning as we read the passage on Obadiah the prophet.  On one hand I have tremendous respect for Obadiah.  Yet as I read one of my favorite commentaries I find a perspective completely contrary to my own perspective.  So, I am going out on my own today – going away from the thoughts of one of my closest theological friends.  But this is life sometimes, and of all the days to go out on a limb, the day where we celebrated the gift of Grace coming in the bodily form of Jesus Christ seems to be a good day to do so!

As I read the story of Obadiah, it is easy to see how Obadiah was a “compromiser.”  He was still working under King Ahab.  As we can see with the pursuit of grass for the animals, we can see that he is still taking orders from the king.  It is easy to come down in judgment against his choices.

However, we also see a person that God used in the place that He was in.  When Jezebel cut off the prophets of the Lord it was Obadiah who was there to save a good number of them!  When God wanted Elijah to come and confront Ahab, it was Obadiah that God used to get Elijah into Ahab’s presence.  I personally believe that Obadiah is not a compromiser; rather I believe that Obadiah is serving the Lord in a context that is very difficult.

I mean no personal slam against Elijah in what I am about to say.  Anyone can go away and hide.  Now, I mean this as no slam against Elijah because Elijah was doing what God told him to do.  So don’t take that comment as me comparing Obadiah to Elijah.  But look at what Obadiah does.  Obadiah finds a way to fear the Lord and remain in contact with the king in spite of Jezebel’s personal vendetta against the prophets of the Lord!  Obadiah could have easily hid himself, but he sticks his neck out on the chopping block so that he is in a position to be used when God should need him – and we see at least twice that God does use him!

However, anytime a spiritual person remains in contact with the enemy – in this case, Ahab - or even more generically “sinners” it is easy for the “spiritual elite” to judge the person who chooses to remain among the sinful.  It is easy to look at the one who remains in contact and speak of them as one who compromises their faith.  It is easy to say that their faith is not strong enough to abandon everything for the Lord.  But it may be those who stay in contact who have the stronger faith.  It may be them who have picked up the mantle of Christ and who are trusting God to continue to use them in the midst of sin and evil.

In the end, I do not mean to judge either position.  One can separate oneself from sin and evil in a holy way; one can separate oneself from sin and evil in a way that demonstrates cowardice and refusal to obey God.  One can dwell among sin and evil in a holy way; one can dwell among sin and evil in a way that leads to corruption.  My point is not to lift one position above the other.  Rather, my point here is to say that the important thing is to follow the Lord’s calling in this world and do what He asks.  Judge not others who are also pursuing the call of the Lord – as long as they are genuinely pursuing the Lord.  We see Elijah and Obadiah serving the Lord in opposite ways in this chapter and the prior chapter.  The important part is not their differences, but the fact that they are available and willing to be used by God.

Elijah and the Prophets of Ba’al

As we turn to look to one of the most famous stories in the Old Testament, let me pause and point out one of Elijah’s strongest character flaws.  Again, I don’t illustrate this in judgment against him.  We all have flaws.  But we can learn from Elijah’s flaws – especially those of us in spiritual leadership.  The flaw comes in verse 22 where Elijah says, “I, even I only, am left a prophet of the Lord.”  Elijah’s pride and confidence leads him to a poor place of spiritual discernment.  He sees himself as alone, when God has been working to save others just like him.  We’ll see this again much more clearly tomorrow.  So let’s hold onto this phrase and surge ahead.

Elijah had just met Obadiah and Obadiah had told him about the prophets that were saved.  God has just shown him that He is not alone, but he doesn’t see Obadiah as a “real” person of God.  His pride gets in the way. 

But the truth is, I suffer from the same flaw.  I think that’s why I needed to point it out today.  As I read this text the Holy Spirit was illustrating that I have a very similar fault.  I think it is a natural character flaw for leaders to have.  When we see people serving in a different capacity than ourselves we jump to the conclusion that they aren’t serving God when really they could be serving them in a context far more difficult than our own.

In spite of this flaw (which naturally comes out of confidence, of course), God uses Elijah to show His great power.  The priests of Ba’al cannot bring down fire because God was not willing.  But in spite of the water, God was willing to bring down fire upon His own altar.  God demonstrates to His people that He is powerful.  The prophets of Ba’al are seized and slaughtered.  It seems like quite a victory for God.

Even more, after this victory the Lord sends rain and Elijah speaks of it to Ahab.  Ahab sees the cloud coming and God’s prophecy through Elijah is proven true.  Not only has fire consumed a damp altar and God’s presence was proven to be real, but God also showed Himself true to His Word (prophecy, promise, etc).  This really sounds like it should be a victory for God among the people.

I’ll leave us there until tomorrow.  There we shall see the result of God demonstrating Himself in such a visible means.  Tomorrow we will discover how the world reacts to such a visible display of God’s presence.  For today, let’s simply bask in the glory that is God’s presence.  God revealed Himself to the people through Elijah’s sacrifice.  It is good to stop and acknowledge God when we see Him.

Speaking of which, God has come and dwelled among us, has He not?  Jesus was born.  Jesus Christ was born to die.  Jesus the Christ was born to save.  He will come again!  Yet I end up asking the same question as I just asked a paragraph prior in the end of my blog on 1 Kings 18.  How will the world respond to such a visible display of His presence?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment