Friday, December 16, 2011

Year 1, Day 350: 1 Kings 9

The Difference Between Solomon and David

Today it appears to be judgment time.  I don’t want to be too harsh on Solomon, but there is a need for a simple truth.  We know David was loved by the Lord because David was the Lord’s servant.  Yes, he screwed up and sinned.  But David repented and confessed in his error.  And the reality is that we don’t hear God coming back to David and reminding him “if you remain in my ways.” 

But we do repeatedly hear God coming back to Solomon and reminding Solomon of the agreement.  We hear God say it through David in chapter 2, through prayer in chapter 3, through prayer in chapter 6, through his own confession in chapter 8, through prayer in chapter 9, and in judgment in chapter 11.

As I read through these first nine verses I can really get a sense that God is unsure about Solomon.  God presents His case to Solomon as if Solomon is still on the fence.  Of course, one could say that God knows where Solomon will end up so God is actually quite sure about Solomon and doesn’t like it at all.  I think God knows here that Solomon has not given his heart to God as David had done.

I think that we really need to dwell on this topic.  I know I’ve been pushing it hard the last few days, but I really want to be ready for the final analysis of Solomon.  I think we need to spend some time thinking about it because this is so vitally applicable to most Christians – and especially pseudo-Christians – today.  The question that begs to be asked is:
  • whether I (or you) am like David who has fully given his heart to God yet occasionally makes mistakes and repents of them, or
  • whether I (or you) am like Solomon who can go through the motions and know all the right things to say but when push comes to shove is still sitting on the fence.

Let’s face it.  That is one of the core issues facing mainstream Christianity today.  Am I really sold out for Jesus Christ and willing to do what God asks me to do or am I simply following God because that’s how I was brought up?  Am I willing to lay my life before the Lord, bear everything, and humble myself in confession when I see just how much I have screwed up?  Or am I more interested in putting on a good show to convince myself and the people around me just how righteous I think I am?  Am I willing to sacrifice everything for God’s ways or am I interested in building my kingdom the way I think God wants it built?

I think I am getting to a real truth here in ministry.  You see, God came to David several times through various people and convicted David of his sin.  But that process worked because David fully bought into what God was selling.  David was fully vested in God.  David was willing to knock himself to the floor in repentance before he would ever think that God’s ways were wrong and not worth following. 

But Solomon is a different beast.  I don’t think Solomon has fully bought into God’s ways because God has to keep coming to him and reminding him that he still needs to choose whether or not he is going to follow God’s ways of the ways of the world.  It’s much harder to go before a person who is living like this and convict them of their sinful behavior.  How does anyone convict another person of sinfulness if they are not fully bought into the full and complete authority of God’s Word?

Spiritual Community

There.  I think I finally said what it has taken me five paragraphs to get out.  If we want to experience a true community of God’s people, we need to be fully vested in God’s ways and the authority of God.  If we live as though we are sitting on the fence, then we can’t expect true godly community or even godly results! 

If we live in such a way as to make excuses for sin and sinners, or if we live in ways that tell other people that God’s Word is not the sole authority in our life, or if we live in ways that indicate to others that we are not willing to put ourselves under the authority of God’s Word and repent when necessary then there will be no community of godly people.  There will instead be a community of people who get along as long as everyone agrees on what they think God wants.  And that is far different than living in a community that is centered on what God actually wants.  We need to vest ourselves in God’s ways and live like it.

Evidence

To show how Solomon was not vested in the Lord, we see him begin to make alliances in the end of this chapter.  These alliances show a growing desire to be self-reliant and to go against God’s Word.  Solomon gains an alliance with Hiram and deals unfairly with Hiram in the process by giving him worthless cities in exchange!  Solomon gains an alliance with Egypt through the Pharaoh and his daughter and goes against God’s specific instructions for his people to not rely upon Egypt’s strength or to even go back to Egypt!  Solomon gains other alliances as mentioned in this passage as well.

It appears to me that Solomon is not vested in God.  Solomon is not living as though God is authoritative.  In fact, as I read through this passage what it sounds to me is that Solomon has a desire to stick his fingers in many “pots” rather than committing to the “pot” of God.  He is demonstrating traits of pluralism – and polytheism, too!  Solomon wants to make alliance with other nations and value their ways (pluralism).  This will lead to Solomon certainly desiring to please the Hebrew God as well as the gods of his many wives (polytheism) – many of which were products of these alliances.  Solomon’s pluralistic approach to life leads him straight away from the monotheism that God desires.  I really believe that much of the issue is in Solomon’s lack of commitment to being vested in God’s authority.

This is a concept we should consider deeply.  Am I really vested in God?  Am I really willing to lay everything down should God require it?  Am I really interested in doing whatever it takes to be in a relationship with God?  Or am I in it for the easy stuff and the benefits, but I’m not really vested?  Am I interested in what God can provide, but not really committed to doing things His way?  These are deep questions that we should ponder long and hard about throughout our whole lives.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment