Friday, December 7, 2012

Year 2, Day 341: Ecclesiastes 11

Spreading Around the Wealth

It seems that much of this chapter is a chapter that talks about dealing with the uncertainty of the future.  Before I go into this chapter, I want to take a moment to talk about the relevancy of this topic in our culture.  Yesterday I worked at the Mobile Food Pantry through the Real Life Center.  Because it is Christmas, we had a guy at the end of the line asking people if they had any prayer concerns and if we could pray with them before they went home.  Of the 200 or so people we served, all but 2 wanted prayer.  So this poor man was swamped with prayer opportunities.  What an incredible problem to have, right? So I offered to help give this man a hand praying for and over the people.  I found myself kneeling down outside of people’s cars and praying with them as they drove through a parking lot receiving food supplies.  It was a very profound experience to pray with and for these people.

But as I prayed, I came upon a discovery.  Want to guess what was the most requested prayer? 

Hope.  Hope for their health.  Hope for their country.  Hope for their finances.  Hope.  Every single one of the cars that came through had a spirit of uncertainty about them.  This is a difficult world and a difficult time in which we live.  Jobs are not plentiful at all.  Health insurance is becoming mandatory as well as more and more expensive.  We are a world that needs hope because our future is very much uncertain.  It is with this frame of mind that I come to Ecclesiastes 11 today.

The author of Ecclesiastes is absolutely promoting an attitude of “spreading the wealth.”  He tells us to be generous with seven or eight.  There are a few reasons to do this.  First of all, temporal blessings do not last forever.  They come and they go.  I think that’s ultimately why we have the cliché: The Lord giveth and He taketh away.  We are accustomed to things falling into our life as much as we are familiar with things falling out of our life.

So what does this have to do with “spreading the wealth?”  Well, the odds say that a whole community will not suffer loss at the same time.  So, if I can create relationships of generosity with the people around me, then when I am in a position of having a need someone else might be in the position of filling my need.  Likewise, when they are in a position of having need I might be in a position to help fill that need.  The opening verses of Ecclesiastes 11 teach us the importance of community and communal generosity.

Not Focusing Too Much On Reading the Signs

As we move along in this chapter, Solomon also gives us the teaching to not observe the wind or regard the clouds.  I need to be a little careful here, because this is one of those teachings that if pushed to the extreme it can lead us to a bad teaching.  However, in its nutshell what Solomon is teaching us is that if we care too much about the conditions of the world we’ll never get any work done.

For example, I can remember living in Pennsylvania and thinking about planting flowers.  We could technically get frosts as late as June 15th.  However, we typically didn’t get frosts past May 15th.  So I had a choice to make every May.  Do I plant knowing a frost could come or do I plant late knowing that I have planted after any frost?  But if I wait until June, then I might have waited too long and the plants might not have enough time to grow and mature and give the fruit of its growth.  I can add to it that June was usually a very rainy and cloudy month, so seeds put into the ground in June would often run the risk of rotting before they sprouted and could handle the water better.

Solomon’s point?  If we wait for the absolute perfect condition, we will often miss our chance.  If we watch the winds and watch the clouds, we’ll talk ourselves out of many good opportunities – but perhaps not ideal opportunities – to get the work done.  In the end, we have to ask ourselves one simple question.  What’s more important, accomplishing the work with an assumed risk because of less-than-ideal circumstances or only working under ideal circumstances?

As I said, we really need to be careful here.  I don’t want to give the impression that we shouldn’t care about the circumstances, either.  When the time is wrong, the time is wrong.  You don’t plant most things the day before expecting a big frost or a heavy snow.  You don’t buy a new car if you are struggling to pay your bills.  You don’t take your family out to an expensive dinner if you don’t have the money to also put food on the table at home the rest of the week.  We must seek balance, not either extreme.  Pay attention to what is going on around you, but don’t seek the ideal so much that you miss out on a good opportunity to do the work that God has placed before you.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment