Sunday, December 9, 2012

Year 2, Day 343: Song of Songs 1

Background

Song of Songs (or Song of Solomon) is written by Solomon.  There are some that would translate the first verse to mean that this book of the Bible is dedicated to the memory of Solomon (and the love for his wife).  However, given Solomon’s known ability to write – even in poetry – I think it is more than a fair conclusion to imagine that Solomon is indeed the author of this book.

This book is largely a series of love poems between a husband and his wife.  This book is about marriage.  This book is about a healthy sex life within the confines of marriage.  It should be noted that this book never mentions God, although certainly this book celebrates a godly relationship between a man and a woman.  Jewish religious scholars have interpreted this book as an allegory to God’s relationship with Israel.  Christian religious leaders have interpreted this book as an allegory between Christ and His Church.  Because of the explicitly sexual nature of many of the analogies, I believe the best interpretation is to let this book be what it seems to be about: the joy of a healthy marriage.

Spousal Love

This first chapter opens with the bride confessing her love.  I am struck by the fact that the love of Solomon is better than wine.  I sat back and asked myself, “What is it about wine to which a person would compare love?”

I think there are many possible answers.  It could be that Solomon’s love was intoxicating.  The more he pursued his bride, the more she desired him.  If so, what a neat perspective on marriage.

Or, it could be that Solomon’s love altered his bride.  Of course, we live in a world that screams, “Don’t change for anyone; be your own person.”  But I’ve got to admit.  I think that’s a lie.  I get great joy out of knowing that I have an opportunity to become a better man for my wife.  I like knowing that I have an opportunity to help my wife change for the better.  It isn’t about her becoming the woman I want her to be.  It is everything about me helping her become the wife that God wants her to be.  Likewise, it is about her helping me to be the man God wants me to be.

Or, perhaps it is that Solomon’s love helps “take the edge off of life.”  I know what it is like to come home from being in this world.  I come home edgy.  I come home dragging all the experiences of the world with me.  But the love of my wife puts that into perspective.  Those edges become softened as I encounter her.  Lord willing, the same is true for her when she comes home edgy, too.

Perhaps there are other reasons for saying that Solomon’s love is better than wine.  But I think the neat thing for me is to see a woman who is desperately in love with her husband.  What a wonderful way to start a book on marriage.

Other People Around Them Celebrate

Then, we have a short section from the “others.”  They celebrate the love of Solomon and his bride.  It might seem rather obvious to say, but isn’t it neat to see a community celebrate the love of two individuals?

What Woman Wouldn’t Want To Be Compared To A Horse?

If we then turn to Solomon’s words, we see Solomon compare his beloved to a mare who leads the Pharaoh’s chariots.  As with the earlier analogy, I thought about what this might represent.  The mare is the presentation of the Pharaoh.  In a chariot, the horse is the first thing you see.  So Solomon is definitely showing appreciation for how the splendor of his wife reflects back upon him.

It could also be a hint at strength and power.  The horses are what makes the chariot possible.  Without the horses, the chariot goes nowhere.  It could be that Solomon is hinting that much Solomon is due to the strength of his wife.

However, again I think the most obvious answer is the best one.  I believe that Solomon is complementing his bride on her beauty and grace and fluidity of movement.  I don’t know many women today who would love to be compared to a horse.  But beauty, grace, and fluidity of movement are things that I know many people would appreciate hearing about themselves.

As an aside … I’m not a great fan of the realism that this image brings.  1 Kings 3:1 tells us that Solomon’s first wife came from Egypt.  He disobeyed God’s decree that the Hebrew people – especially their kings – should not go to Egypt to find wives.  It oculd be that this chapter is actually pointing us to a flaw in Solomon’s understanding of human sexuality.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment