Friday, December 14, 2012

Year 2, Day 348: Song of Songs 6

Reconciliation

Song of Songs 6 is the chapter of reconciliation.  Just as chapter 5 discusses the natural and human problem of a love that ebbs and flows (or fades from time to time), Song of Songs 6 gives hope for reconciliation in spite of our human nature.  Where there is recognition and repentance, there can always be reconciliation.  There is no situation that is beyond God’s ability to mend.

We can see that the issue with the emotional indifference from which the bride suffered is gone.  In fact, we have proof in the opening portion of this chapter that it is indeed emotional indifference and not physical separation that is the problem.  When the young daughters of Jerusalem ask the bride where they can find her beloved, she knows precisely where to tell them!  Her beloved has gone to the garden.  Again we can see that this is a classic human condition of marriage.  Two people know where to physically find one another; but occasionally one of them lacks the passion to desire to emotionally find the other.

Yet this problem is able to be overcome.  If we can skip over the beloved’s section (the “He” part) and continue on with the words of the bride, we can hear that she went to the garden to see if it was in bloom.  She wanted to see if the garden was still in blossom.  Symbolically, the bride is saying that she went to find her beloved to see if indeed his love was still there for her.  She went to see if reconciliation was possible.  She went to see if love still blossomed between them.

The Response

Before dealing with verse 12, let’s return now to the response of the beloved.  We can see that Solomon’s position towards his wife is unchanged.  Many of the same images that were used to describe Solomon’s stance towards his wife on the night of their wedding (Song of Songs 4) are repeated here. I’ll let you revisit my post on that chapter if you would like to refresh what those images represent.  What is important in today’s text is that in spite of his bride’s emotional barrier towards him, he has not ceased to love her.  In fact, he has not ceased to love her in the same way.

That’s the hard part about true reconciliation.  We as human beings are changed by every event in our life.  It’s so easy for one spouse to say to another, “I can forgive this, but it’s going to change how I relate to you.”  From a human perspective, that is incredibly true.  But from a divine perspective, nothing could be farther from God.  When we sin, does God look at us and say, “I’ll forgive you, but now I love you differently?”  Does God say, “This has changed how I see you?”  No, God see our faults and loves us in spite of them.  He loves us so much in spite of them that He sent His Son for us.  He loves us the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow in spite of the ways we have failed Him, we do fail Him, and we will fail Him.  From this perspective, Solomon’s statement of love to his bride is quite an incredible and awesome declaration of God’s love. In spite of the emotional barrier that she had put up between them, Solomon’s love for his bride remains just as true this day as the day that they were married.

Honestly?  I’m in awe of the profoundness of this passage.  I’m also in awe of how I have failed to live up to this example.  I daresay every one of us can make that comment.  I see that I have a need to grow in my marriage.  I believe I have let life change me as a husband too much.  Sure, some of the changes are for the good – and I’ll keep those changes around.  But I’m sad to confess that not all the changes are for the better.  I can learn from Solomon in this regard.

Shulammite

As we look to Solomon’s response, it is now the right time to turn to verse 12.  This verse is labeled “one of the most difficult verses to translate in the whole of the Hebrew Scriptures.”  The problem is that the words used here have so many multiple meanings.  But as I researched this verse, I stumbled across a translation that I really like: “I became enraptured, for you placed me on the chariots of the people of the prince.”

Here’s why I really like that translation.  Listen to how it speaks to Solomon’s love for his bride.  He took his bride – who had built up a barrier between them – and as a sign of forgiveness he placed her upon his own chariot.  Solomon took his wife and elevated her into a position of prominence.  Instead of holding her confession against her, he exalted her.  This verse – if we can accept this translation – makes a profound statement towards Solomon’s forgiveness.

Then we end this chapter with the verses containing the strange name: Shulammite.  This is a literal transliteration of the word.  But the literal meaning of this word in Hebrew is “Solomoness.”  Quite literally, it is the title for the woman with Solomon.  It is the title indicating that reconciliation is complete.  It is a term of intimacy and belonging and relationship.  It is a word that conveys that there is Solomon and his beloved.  Separation is no more.  The marital union is restored.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment