Saturday, December 22, 2012

Year 2, Day 355: Isaiah 5

The Vineyard of the Lord

The first seven verses of this chapter are well known – but not as well known as they should be.  These verses comprise a logical analogy to the relationship of God and His people.  They are worth pausing over and meditating upon.  We are also in a relationship with God, and we need all the help and advice we can get so that our relationship with God stays fruitful and productive!

In the analogy, God takes time to select very fertile ground before even beginning to plant.  Then, God clears the land of obstacles of growth.  Then, God sets up a watchtower to make sure that the vineyard is neither destroyed nor vandalized.  He even made preparations to enjoy the fruit!  Yet it gave only wild fruit.  Wild fruit is an analogy to fruit that is small, underdeveloped, and practically useless.

In other words, even before God planted the Hebrew people in Israel he chose fertile and valuable property (which the land of Canaan absolutely is).  He cleared the land of obstacles (the people living within the land).  He set up a watchtower over the land (Law and the Prophets).  Yet the Hebrew people were wild.  They were not faithful.  They were pulled in every direction away from God.  They worshipped foreign gods.  They worshipped their possessions.  They worshipped the land.  They were wooed by the world.

So God asks us to judge His vineyard.  What else could God have done for them?  He set them up in a land where they should have been successful.  They had the resources that they needed.  He gave them ways to live in peace with one another.  He gave them access to Himself.  They had it all, but they rebelled.

As I read through these verses, I must ask myself the same questions.  In fact, I have to be even stricter upon myself!  I know about Jesus Christ.  I know about God’s grace and love and mercy in its completed form.  He has not only made Himself available to us, but He has come and dwelled with us!  He has set me (and each of us) in an even more fertile spiritual place than the Hebrew people.  I wonder what God thinks of my fruit?  I pray that He is pleased.  I pray that He does not consider my fruit to be wild fruit.

So what does God promise to do?  God promises to tear down the protective hedge that He has established.  He will break down the protective wall.  His chosen people shall be trampled.  They will become a wasteland, unpruned and unproductive.  Here is the warning.  God desires relationship.  God desires repentance.  God desires that we rend our hearts.  When we do not do any of these things we offer cheap grace to a world that learns to abuse and take their relationship with God for granted.  This is why it is absolutely worth looking at this analogy, for nobody is exempt from being this vineyard!  We need to learn how to avoid becoming this vineyard.  It is good to be put in fertile ground; it is horrible to become trampled because we squander God’s provision.

Woes to the People

The woes in verses 18-23 are woes that I have always found particularly haunting.  I think they haunt me because I find them so easy to do.  We cannot truly judge a person’s heart, so how easy is it to get “good” and “evil” mixed up?  How many times I have set out to do good and got it messed up along the way?  How many times have I been “wise in my own eyes” or met people who were “wise in their own eyes?”  How many times have I watched as our culture celebrates alcohol and drunkenness?  How many stories have I heard about a person’s fame or status or wealth allowing them to be treated differently when they transgress the law?  How many times have we seen that sometimes the difference between punishment and freedom is not guilt/innocence but rather who you know?  These verses haunt me because I know how closely they strike to not just myself but the culture in which I live.  In fact, I’m willing to bet that they strike a chord with many people and many cultures all throughout time!

Then comes the threat of verses 26.  God will whistle and bring the nations near.  Now, these aren’t friendly nations.  These aren’t nations coming to be embraced into God’s family.  These are nations with sharp arrows and bows ready for action.  Their horses are capable.  Their chariots and wagons are capable of coming swiftly.  They come with a growl.  They seize their prey.

No.  These aren’t the nations coming to bow at the feet of God.  These aren’t the nations coming to humble themselves before their savior.  These are the nations coming to be God’s implement of justice upon God’s own people.  The time for discipline draws nearer.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment