Thursday, January 25, 2018

Year 8, Day 25: Romans 2


Theological Commentary: Click Here



As I read through Romans 2, there is a really important message that often gets overlooked.  Who am I to judge?  This message is so important that Jesus Himself teaches it when He says, “Let him who is without sin throw the first stone.”  The reality is that I have no right to look upon another in the light of condemnation while I myself sit in the light of grace.  If grace has been extended to me, then it has been extended to anyone who is willing to receive it.  Human beings have no right to look upon one another in condemnation.  That’s is God’s job, not mine.



That being said, we often take that message too far.  Just because I shouldn’t look upon another person in condemnation doesn’t mean I don’t preach the truth.  Right is right.  Wrong is wrong.  Righteousness is righteousness.



That leads me to the real trick in this passage.  How does one teach right from wrong but do it in a way that doesn’t assume condemnation?  I think there are several important principles, and I’ll admit that I’m going to probably miss a few.  The most important part is that it comes from God’s Word as that is truth.  It is also important that we teach through relationship so that when people hear us teach they already know our character and will be able to hear the spirit of our words should we say something in human error.  We also need to remember to be transparent; people are more receptive to hearing about their imperfections when they realize that we acknowledge our own imperfections.



These things set us up for an understanding of where this passage ends.  Can we prove to be God’s people by outward appearances?  No, of course not!  We are God’s people by what is on the inside.  It is a penitent heart that evidences the salvation that comes from God.  That’s why I have to be careful not to judge!  Can I see the heart within, or can I only see the outward appearances of another through my own jaded perspective of what I see?



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment