Friday, April 27, 2018

Year 8, Day 117: Job 23


Theological Commentary: Click Here



I think this is a beautiful chapter.  What is it that makes a beautiful chapter in the Bible?  It really depends, but from my perspective a beautiful chapter is one that contains truth, contains an exposition on the human condition, and contains a relatable circumstance.  All of these things happen in this chapter.



The relatable circumstance is Job’s life in this chapter is his inability to see God.  I know how that feels.  There are days that I would love nothing more than to sit in God’s presence and ask him the questions that I ponder.  There are days when I wish I could be in the presence of a God who chases away the presence of evil, doubt, and hatred.  There are days when I long to know – to truly know – God’s plan for my life and the rest of the world.  There are days when I long for the peace that only He can bring.



I know how Job feels.  Job just wants to explain himself to God.  He just wants to hear God’s rationale.  He just wants the comfort of knowing God’s presence.



What’s the truth in this chapter?  I think there are multiple truths.  First, human beings can’t see God whenever they want it.  We can’t shake God’s hand.  We can’t enter into His physical courts.  Second, the truth is that God is the answer.  God is immutable.  God completes what He starts.  God has a purpose to what He does.



When we tie these ideas together, we end up with a great perspective on the human condition.  If we long to see God when He truly is the answer but we can’t see Him, why does that even happen?  I think Job gives us the answer in the closing stanza of the chapter.  In verse 9 we hear Job confess that when He is at work on the left and the right it us who do not perceive Him.  The reality is that it is our issue.  We don’t see God because our hearts aren’t ready.  We don’t see Him because we may not have learned how to look.  We don’t see Him because we are focused on the wrong thing.  Whatever the reason, we don’t see Him.  That’s the condition that Job mourns in this chapter.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment