Friday, May 11, 2018

Year 8, Day 131: Job 37


Theological Commentary: Click Here



I will give Elihu some credit today.  I think that he does will to focus upon the majesty of God.  In truth, I think that most of the mistakes made in this book of the Bible were made when people quit focusing on the majesty of God and instead started to focus on their own burden.  When we focus on God, our perspective is assured.



What do we know about God’s majesty?  God commands the snow to fall, and it is beautiful!  God commands the rain to fall and it is nourishing to the earth.  God commands the light to shine and we feel its warmth and are energized by the light.  God’s display of His grace and His providence are utterly amazing.



Perhaps more importantly, when we ponder the amazing nature of His love we set ourselves up for humbleness.  When I think about how God makes it rain, I realize that I can’t do that.  I can understand how rain happens.  I can talk about dew points, condensation, temperature variations in air, and how these things affect relative humidity.  But I can’t make it rain.  In fact, I can’t even explain why it rains nourishing rain on our planet, yet many other planets have harmful acid rains.  I can’t fathom how it came to be that we live on a planet with all of God’s provision as we need it!



Elihu does well to focus Job and his friends on God.  It’s Elihu’s last words, and he chooses wisely.  I know I would be better off if I spent more time focusing on the majesty of God.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment