Monday, May 2, 2011

Year 1, Day 122: Numbers 7

89 verses later …

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Reading and Receiving Gifts

I wonder if that simple sentiment captures your attitude when reading this text.  I know it did mine.  It is one thing to read a book that is interesting and exciting.  But within these 89 verses are 12 paragraphs that with the exception of the name of the leader and the tribe that the leader is from these paragraphs are completely identical.  They give the same gift, day after day.  I confess that it felt a bit monotonous to read.  I wonder if you were like me and found yourself skipping along the text just checking to make sure that the paragraph that you were reading was the same as the four that had come before it, knowing that it would also be the same as the 7 that would come after it.

I wonder how God felt receiving the identical gifts.  I’m willing to bet that He did not tire of the monotony as I tired merely of reading it.  That’s the greatness of God.  God does not tire of good things as we do.  An earnest gift brought before God is treasured, valued, and remembered.  It doesn’t matter if it is the same gift as yesterday.  What is important is not the scope of the gift but the genuineness of the faith and person who offers the gift.

For the record, this principle works gloriously in reverse.  When the people are in the Promised Land and they are bringing glorious gifts but have no spiritual motivation God does not receive their gifts. The glory and the splendor are nothing compared to the heart within.  See Hosea 6:6 or Psalm 51:16-17.

Pondering My Response to 89 Verses

So I am left to ponder a few things.  First, shame on me for tiring of reading about the repetitive and meaningful gifts to the Lord.  Shame on me for tiring of the same Kyrie sung every Sunday, or the same group that meets weekly, or the same Bible I pick up and read every day.  Shame on me for tiring of the things that sustain my faith.

Second, it makes me wonder about the religious practices in which I am involved.  Is God receiving religious practices that are genuinely offered – or is He sitting through the repetitive worship that is not genuine?  We know full well from this passage that God doesn’t tires of honest repetitive practice.  But we also know from later in the prophets that God does indeed tire of meaningless worship.  So, which is it for me – or for you?  Are we honestly giving God a worship of which He will never tire or are we wearing Him down with a worship of which He is already tired?  There is nothing wrong with worship of any kind – so long as it is truly God-centered and erupting out of our faith in Him.

Recently I’ve come across a really neat teaching.  Ritual leads to religion, discipline leads to discipleship.  Even the Pharisees of Jesus’ day prove this point.  They were doing a great number of spiritual practices, but their lives weren’t changing!  Jesus’ disciples pick up a few spiritual disciplines from their mentor and their lives change drastically!

Unity

There is another thing to be said here.  With the same gift being brought forth by each tribe, there was a clear focus on unity.  They weren’t interested in outdoing each other.  They weren’t interested in competition or to see who could offer up the best gift to God. 

Their faith led them to unity in worship.  They may have all had their differences, but when it was time to worship God they worshipped Him first and foremost in a way that was pleasing to God.  And I think that is also significant.  How many times do we want to worship in a way that is pleasing to us?  How many times do we demand worship experiences that are building in spirituality so that the ones we have this year make the ones we had 10 years ago seem like an immature spirituality?  That is what we want. 

How often do we approach the idea of worship as something that God wants?  Does the form and shape of our worship really matter – so long as it is pleasing to God?  Which is more important – the fact that our worship is pleasing to God or that it is pleasing to us?

<>< 


No comments:

Post a Comment