Thursday, May 5, 2011

Year 1, Day 125: Numbers 10

Movement

Numbers 10 gives us the first moments of movement.  I do find it very comforting to know that the movement of the Hebrew people – as well as the declaration of High Festivals and other gathering times – was proclaimed by trumpets. 

Why is this so comforting?  It shows us that significant movements of the Lord are announced.  Specifically, Jesus tells us that when He returns to this earth He will do so at the shout of a loud trumpet.  There are several other places that speak of trumpets when the Messiah comes.  Additionally, we know that much of God’s judgment as set forth in the book of Revelation is by trumpet.  The point is clear – when God moves suddenly, He declares it.

Put this in contrast with our present experience of the movement of God.  We do know that God moves, of course.  He moves within us.  He moves within others.  But typically we think of that as slow movement.  It is a long process. 

That kind of movement doesn’t need to be announced with a trumpet because it is slow enough for us to recognize before God gets too far away.  On the other hand, the cloud moving away in Numbers, Christ’s return in the New Testament, and the points of judgment in Revelation are all quick movements of the Lord.  Those are things we want to have our attention brought to or else we might just miss what is going on!

Hobab

Having spoken about the trumpets, I’d now like to turn a little bit here to this dialogue between Moses and his brother-in-law Hobab.  Remember that Jethro – sometimes called Raguel in the scriptures – was Moses’ father.  Moses wants Hobab to come along and show them the good places to stay.  At first, this sounds really like the right thing to do.  After all, if you are heading into the wilderness who wouldn’t want a scout who knows all the good places to lead them?

But think about what that inherently says.  Moses is asking Hobab to be their guide when he has the cloud to lead them!  And what is the cloud?  The cloud is the very presence of God!  Quite subtly and perhaps without even knowing that he is doing it, Moses is denying his reliance upon God.  He is subtly stating that he would rather rely on a scout made of flesh and blood than God.  When stated like this, it seems so wrong.  That’s why I personally hope Moses doesn’t even realize what he is doing here.

I can certainly forgive Moses – especially if the intent I hint at here is unintentional and subconscious as I believe it to be.  I am prone to doing this very same thing.  I know that I should lean on God as my guide through this life.  I know He should be my religious and spiritual leader.  I know His plans and His ways are the ways that I should follow.  But so often I seem to want some human being to come and show me the way.  No, the Lord is my shepherd, not some human being.  The Lord is my Rock, my Strength, my Shield – not some human being.

Mentoring

But before this gets taken the wrong way, let’s not forget that sometimes God intends for us to follow people who are following Him.  For example, God intentionally sent Moses to the Hebrew people so they could follow Moses.  Of course, Moses is following God.  When God sends us someone in our life to follow, then we should follow them.  Woe upon us if we do not follow someone that God sends into our life!  But unless a person is sent by God to be our guide, we should focus on following God directly.

In fact, as one of those people who often gets labeled as “someone to follow spiritually”– since I am a pastor – I would advocate that when we choose to follow someone because God sent them that we still must hold them accountable.  Everyone is prone to straying from the path, God’s messengers are no different. It is hard to solely depend upon God – even for the ultra-close to God like Moses!  Moses in this story is subtly beginning to stray from depending upon God.  So, please make sure that we hold our leaders accountable.  Let there be no blind faith among us – unless that blind faith rests purely upon God.  And even then, let our faith not be blind but informed by His ever-present Word.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment