Sunday, May 8, 2011

Year 1, Day 128: Numbers 13

Send Out the Spies!

Here we get yet another famous passage.  This is the sending out of the spies.  Notice two things.  First, when the Lord tells Moses to send out the spies, He gives him a very clear purpose.  It is a purpose that I am sure he passed on to the spies: “I am giving this land to you.”  (Numbers 13:2)  Also notice in the list of duties for which they were to spy that evaluating the success of God’s plan - or even the ability for the Hebrew people to take the land – is actually not on the list of things for them to do!  They are told to scout out the land noting the land’s produce and the people’s strength in numbers.  They are not told to evaluate whether or not the plan is able to be successful.

When you think about it, this makes sense.  With God, are not all things are possible?  So the question is honestly never “Can I/we do this?”  The question is always “Is God calling me/us to do this?”  Do you notice the fundamental difference in even how those sentences are constructed?  The first question places the emphasis on the human as the subject of the question.  The second places emphasis upon God as the subject and the person becomes the object of God’s will.  Fundamentally these are two different questions in scope and theme.

Of course, the spies are actually obedient at first.  When they first get back to the camp, they put forth an honest appraisal of the land.  They told about the produce.  They told where the people were strong.  That’s okay.  That’s what they were supposed to do.  They accomplish the purpose that God sent them to accomplish.

Getting Ahead of God

But after Caleb steps forth with a word of encouragement, the rest of the spies – although not likely Joshua as we shall see in the next chapter – stand against him.  These spies go beyond the task of their mission and begin to evaluate God’s plan for the taking of Canaan.  They assert that it cannot be done.  Essentially, they say that their own evaluation of the situation is better than God’s evaluation.  When you put it that way, it sounds rather harsh, doesn’t it?

Of course, I am just as guilty as the spies in certain places and times in my walk with God.  God says “I have purposed this or that for you.”  At first I am excited about the prospect until reality hits me.  I am excited about what God wants me to do until the time actually comes to do it.  Then I get scared.  Or I get worried.  Or I underestimate my ability without considering that I should rely upon God’s ability.  Or I get tired.  Or I get weary.  Or I get lazy.  Or … well, you get the idea.  I’m not better than the spies.  I identify with these spies.

I actually long to identify with Caleb.  As we’ll see in Numbers 14, I long to identify with Joshua, Moses, and Aaron.  I long to step up next to the impossible and say, “With God nothing is impossible!”  I long for it.  I desire it.  I want to be that person.  I want to be like Caleb.  Don’t you?

Oh, how God has called us to a great inheritance!  Oh, how God has called us to a great mission.  {Read Matthew 28:18-20 if you doubt this} All we have to do is be like Caleb and continue to taste the fruit of God’s hand!  But we do not, not very often.  Our unbelief in God’s ability and our over-belief in our own disability paralyze us from tasting the fullness of God’s inheritance even here and now!

Here’s a great quote to end upon: “When the other spies saw giants, Caleb saw the Lord.”  Am I focused on the fruit God in which God has called me to partake or am I focused on my own inability to comprehend and execute God’s plan?  Is life about living into the richness of God’s provision or depending upon my own pathetic ability to provide for myself?

Amen.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment