Thursday, May 26, 2011

Year 1, Day 146: Numbers 31

Holy War

For most of us modern American Christians, Numbers 31 is a bit of a difficult passage to read.  We are not often given the command of the Lord to begin a holy war.  We have a tendency to balk a bit when we hear the command from Moses – who got it from God – to kill not just the men but also the young boys and any women who were no longer virgins.  That is a difficult decree for many of us modern and civilized Christians to hear.  It may strike us a bit too close to the concept of jihad or other suck expressions.

However, faith is not easy and there are many lessons that we should learn whether they are comfortable for us or not.  As we get to the conquest of Canaan in the book of Joshua we are going to have many such lessons.  Part of our problem in dealing with these passages is that while we have conditioned ourselves to know that we cannot judge a person’s guilt, innocence, or their true nature – God can and does.  God can know a person’s guilt.

Return of Balaam

Now, with respect to the specifics of this passage – let’s take a brief overview.  We’ve already begun to speak of the effects of the war, so let’s pick up two more tidbits.  Balaam is slain and the text seems to indicate that not a single Hebrew soldier is lost in the process.  The issue of Balaam is another hard pill for me to swallow, because ultimately in the end he did offer blessings and not curses upon the Hebrew people a few chapters ago.  Yet, he did remain a Midianite.  He did return to his home with Balak and the other princes after blessing Israel.  We also know that he was really in it for the money anyways.  So ultimately I see why he was killed among the Midianites. 

I guess I struggle with this part of the story because here is a man who has all the evidence of the true God – he even gets prophetic messages from God – yet Balaam refuses to come to terms with God and come over to God’s side.  Perhaps I struggle with Balaam so much not because I see any great injustice done to him as much as I see so many people in this world who are in the same boat as Balaam and it saddens me.  We have all the evidence of God we could ever need, yet we run from God so often.

No Loss of Hebrew Life

The other interesting tidbit of the beginning of the war is that the report is no loss of Hebrew life.  This would be utterly amazing.  But when you think about it, what better way for God to begin the conquest of the land?  What better way for God to indicate Himself to this new Hebrew nation immediately after hearing of the final demise of the last of the wicked generation?  I think in those terms, this story makes a ton of sense.

Along those lines, notice that the people actually do what the Lord commands of them.  Four times in this chapter that expression is used!  (Numbers 31:7, 31, 41, 47)  What an incredible contrast to the rebellion of the prior generation.  In spite of strict orders, the people follow God’s command.  When we add this dynamic to the fact that the prior generation is dead, I think the fact that the text reports no Hebrew casualties makes even more sense.  At this point, the people are right in line with God.  Why shouldn’t things go well for them?

Return to Sacrifices

Finally, I’d like to talk a little bit about the sacrificing going on after the Midianite war.  First, notice that the soldiers were made to follow the cleanliness policy.  They killed – even at the direction of God! – and were subsequently unclean. 

That doesn’t mean they sinned.  Sin is going against God’s ways and clearly the people did not do this.  I think that this is one of the things that we really lose sight of in our modern way of thinking.  There are really two scales of judgment: holy and unholy as well as clean and unclean.  As we see here, a person can be holy and still be unclean.  A person can be separate from the world and following God’s direction but still become unclean because of their interaction with the world.  We must always be careful to not bring the idea of “sin” into the determination of “clean and unclean.” 

Sin more rightly belongs in the determination of “holy and unholy.”  When we sin, we go against God and are unholy – no longer separate from the world.  Yet just because a person is acting in a holy way – separate from the world – does not imply that their cleanliness is maintained, either.

This is important.  People assume that if they just follow God then they are great.  In one sense of the comment that is absolutely true.  So long as we follow God we are certainly one of His children and a child of the promise.  In that sense, we are holy – separate from the world.  But just because we follow God does not mean that we are ready to do anything for God.  Let me give you a real life situation leading up to one of the worst Sunday worship services I have ever led.

Several months after my ordination, Cara and I were in bed reading late one Saturday night.  Suddenly, we heard a car zoom past our house and we could tell that they were in no way obeying the speed limit.  About a quarter mile after our house was a sharp turn to the left.  We heard tires squealing and the horrible sound of a crash.  We lived in a pretty rural area and didn’t expect that many people heard this incident.  So we jumped out of bed and into our car and arrived quickly on the scene of an accident.  The car was overturned, there was broken glass everywhere, there was a huge smear of blood on the road, and the driver was nowhere to be found.  We called it in and began looking for the man until the police and emergency response team showed up.  Even after that we continued to help.  The man was eventually found, received the medical care he needed, and there was no loss of life.

Now, certainly that was something that I can lift up and say that Cara and I were acting in righteousness.  We demonstrated God’s care and compassion for the driver of the car.  However, the events of the night left me with little sleep and a mind that was not ready to focus on worshipping God during the service the following day – much less leading other people to worship God! 

Certainly there was no sin involved in the act of helping the driver, but at the same time I was not ready to do what God called me to do as a worship leader.  I was distracted mentally and spiritually.  I was worn out mentally and spiritually.  I was not burdened with sin from the event, but being out in the world had made me unfit for service in God’s worship.  It would have been better for someone else to lead that morning.

I hope this story helps bring about an understanding of what I am trying to say here.  Just because we are righteous does not mean we are clean.  Just because we do what God calls us to do does not mean that we are in a place to do anything we want for God.  Sometimes we need to follow God and realize that in following God we have made ourselves unfit for other aspects of following God.  So like the Hebrew warriors, we sit outside the camp purifying our minds and our bodies from our righteous interaction with the world.

I hope my point here comes across, and I hope this will give you something to ponder as you go through this day.


<>< 

8 comments:

  1. Good personal illustration!

    What would you do now differently? Would you preach though" unclean", or ask for an elder to lead? Curious as to your thoughts if you don't mind the question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, don't mind the question. Honestly ...

    I'd still preach through it "unclean." But I would again make a wrong choice. I would preach through it unclean because I wouldn't want to trouble someone else. Or I wouldn't want to look like I was incapable of doing my job. Or I would do it because I would try to convince myself that I could do it anyway. Maybe I'd do it because of an internal lack of confidence in any elder being willing to do it in my place. And I'm no fool. We can all look at those reasons and say "John, those are not good reasons. Not a one of them is any good with respect to justifying an action - especially in the context of worship." Every one of those reasons are wrong.

    I should be able to ask for an elder to lead. I really should. But I'll have to confess, I'm not there yet. I'm too spiritually young in leadership. I have too much Joshua, not enough Moses yet. {Or for the NT lovers out there, too much Timothy and not enough Paul} I guess I've "found me a growing edge."

    I appreciate the ability to ask the question and put me through the paces. I know that's not why you were doing it, but I wanted to step up and interpret it as a point for personal confession. So, thanks for asking.

    And for the record, this is a lesson Cara's been trying to teach me for years. The success of the "church" relies all upon God and not upon me. What is it we hear in the New Testament? God can make the stones cry out to His glory. He doesn't need to do it through me to be successful. And while I know that, sometimes knowing is far more easy than doing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true, knowing is more than doing. Very honest is your answer.

    I did actually ask to challenge you to think about your answer (in a good friendly way, not to catch you in any way at all).

    I do think Elders should be prepared to preach, and if you're not able to as the pastor step in. I think God designed it that way, because at times we're all "unclean" through the fact we touch the unclean.

    None the less, its always good to think about things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I did some more thinking about this topic as I was mowing the yard today. And I'm not really happy with my thoughts. They are true, but I'm not very happy with them.

    Your comment about the "elders being prepared to speak in case the pastor is unable" really got inside of me and refused to leave. For the record, I meant that in a good way. I think what you said is so very true. But I think that exposed within me another dynamic as to why I would again choose to "preach unclean" rather than let someone else do it. I guess the reality is that I don't feel like I have anyone around me that would even want to do it.

    And that bothers me on two levels. First, if there genuinely isn't anyone that is coming who is prepared to speak about God's Word on any given Sunday that says something definate. {Of course, we would naturally not expect a well-prepared sermon, but rather a Spirit moved extemporaneous one.} Second, if there are people in my midst who would be willing to get up and lead spontaneously and I'm not seeing them, then it says a completely different thing about my ability to see them. And that really bothers me.

    Either way, I think part of my issue is rooted in the fact that I do not feel as though I am surrounded by people who would enjoy the chance to spontaneously lead God's people in worship should something happen to the pastor. And if I look back to all the churches I've been involved in - I think that'd be true about every one except the church I knew in Minnesota. but I was very young back then, so maybe my perspective is skewed on that church, too.

    Anyway, food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting. I am not an elder now (or not serving, some believe you always are once you are ... but I digress). I would've been willing to even without notice had the need arised. I'm not sure what I'd said, to be honest, but I'd sure done my best. Perhaps, in that situation God would inspire and the power of the spirit would even be demonstrated, who knows. I Would still today, for that matter, if the need arised in the church I currently attend.

    Now, in fairness, I'm one of those freaks who isn't afraid of public speaking at all. I believe my Spiritual gift to be faith after studying the area in detail, so I don't fear things in these areas as others might. So it may not be fair. Some elders would not be able to, for lots of reasons, as its not their thing.

    It's really an interesting area. At the church I was an elder at, the elders preached when the pastor was on vacation (saved money being the main reason,it was a poorer church, but also I think made for better elders). So, occasional preaching was expected. I did preach there more than once for this reason. Was I as good as the "real" pastor, probably not. I was fresh and different, sure, which has its own benefit I guess for a short exposure. Another advantage (over a lay pastor) I had was that I knew the body intimately, and could speak into their needs much better than a 'stranger' (and normally did take those chances to do so). How of course, I don't mean to say that a visiting pastor can't, as God can do all things, but the point is more that I knew the people as friends and had a relationship, which gave my message something a stranger would have a harder time achieving.

    Perhaps, if you're in a challenge accepting mood, ask your board/session or whatever name they have if they'd be willing to preach next time you're on vacation. Maybe a specific person God puts on your heart? (Its a great discipleship exercise and gos to the priesthood of all believers concept). Don't force it of course,that'd be bad.

    Just to be clear so its not perceived that this is my concept, Timothy 3:2 (last part) "... able to teach" is Biblically where I get this idea that they should be able to.

    Of course, this is ALL in the spirit of thinking and exploring the Word, the purpose of your blog. I know I need not say (but will) that you need to listen to the Spirit as He speaks to you. My ideas are founded Biblically but also the ideas of a man. I just believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naw, I think you are spot on, really. Of course, much like me, I think you are a bit of a freak when it comes to approaches to the world. Things like publically expounding upon your faith is not something you would balk at - rather you would embrace. And if it doesn't sound like it,this whole paragraph is a compliment to you.

    I'm always amazed at how few people are willing to speak about their faith in public. Heck, I'm amazed at how few people will willingly pray in public! I've always taken the passage personally where Jesus tells us to not worry about what we will say but that the Holy Spirit will give us the words of wisdom with which to speak. Don't get me wrong, I still prepare my sermons of course. Nothing wrong with letting the Holy Spirit speak to me throughout the week rather than just on Sunday morning, right? But I also think we shouldn't be afraid of extemporaneous speaking as well.

    I would love to be in a place where there was a lay committee that was in charge of leading the service when I am on vacation. In truth, it would lead to me taking much more of my vacation time. Maybe we'll get there, maybe not. In related news, Cara is leading the worship for me in 2 weeks while I am away on a mission trip. Most of the time I go on vacation she goes with me - so unfortunately that solution isn't one to be used too often.

    But a church where there is a group of laity that the community trusts enough to speak while the pastor is away - there is a community where spiritual trust and faithfulness about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks.

    Good discussion, and great on Cara! It's really an interesting topic to me. Who knows, maybe in the end this whole thing is one of those things that when we're blogging 10 more years from now, we'll look back both of us and marvel at how spritually immature we were! lol -- I hope you recall where this ties into our conversations a bit back or it won't make sense!

    And of course, preparation is important when possible. The Spirit should be given time to work through the week(s) or sermon prep. It's irresponsible to show up weekly without that prep. But, like when Peter preached and thousands became the early church, sometimes we just shut up, plan nothing, and let Him free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to both accounts.

    1. I have no issues thinking about just how spiritually immature I am.

    2. While preparation is important, certainly the Holy Spirit is what is the most important - preparation or no preparation.

    ReplyDelete