Sunday, May 29, 2011

Year 1, Day 149: Numbers 34

God’s Idealism meets Our Human Reality

Today we get to read about the division of the land.  I’ll be the first to confess that this chapter isn’t the most exciting or interesting to read.  It’s also not the world’s most inspiring text upon which to blog – as evidence by the shortness of the post here today.

But …

Here’s something really interesting for us to ponder.  Do you realize that even the whole way through the reign of David and Solomon that these borders mentioned here are never realized?  In Numbers 34 God tells the Hebrew people of His plan.  The ultimate goal is never reached.

Here in this chapter we understand this to be God’s ideal division of the land.  As long as the Hebrew people went into the land, followed God’s direction, and did not stray from His path this would have been the proper division of the land. 

But this was not to be.  The Hebrew people, like us, never realize God’s ideal.  We get stuck somewhere in between doing God’s will and being tempted away from God by the world.  It is just a poor statement of the reality of the human condition.  Our sinfulness often keeps God’s ideal plan from taking place.

Today I don’t have much else to say.  I’m going to spend the rest of my day pondering just how far my life pales in comparison to God’s ideal for my life.  I’m not going to do it in a pity-party kind of way, but in a realization that there is so much more territory out there that God wants me to claim for Him – yet like the Hebrew invaders into Canaan I just can’t quite seem to get there.  I’m going to ponder how I’ll always have my Philistines, my Tyre, and my Sidon around to show me that I have work to do.

In the end, I am no better than these Hebrew invaders of Canaan.  I suppose we’ve all got work to do.  We’ve all got issues in our life that we just can’t seem to conquer.  We’ve all got areas in our life that we just can’t muster up enough internal drive to do what it takes to give that area to God.  Lord willing, someday we shall all get to see the ideal of God.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment