Thursday, October 4, 2012

Year 2, Day 277: Psalms 137-138

Psalm 137

Psalm 137 is a great psalm with an incredible truth, although I do admit to feeling my emotions torn about the final verse.  I always am torn when I get to that verse.  For me, it is one of the hardest verses in the Bible to reconcile.  But I’ll get to that in a bit.

The part of this psalm that I really love is verse 4.  “How shall we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?”  That verse completely and totally struck me today as I pulled it out of the context in which it was written and thrust it into the context of Christianity.  Does Jesus tell us that we are not of this world?  Are we not spiritual sojourners in this fleshly world?

There are days where I feel exactly where this psalmist finds himself.  There are days when I long for deep talks about faith on the back porch of my house.  There are days when I crave having a social conversation about Jesus Christ and what He is doing in our lives over coffee or tea.  There are days when I absolutely yearn for that phone call where someone says, “Can I ask you a question?”  These kinds of longings are frequent.  I desperately long to be in the spiritual land of my Lord instead of being in the fleshly land of this world.  There are days when I say to myself, “How can I possible sing for joy while being a part of a world that so openly turns its back upon God?”

And then I wonder how many people are out there who feel as I do?  I’m guessing it’s more than I think.

And then I wonder if so many people out there are longing for those experiences, what keeps us from having them together?

And then I wonder about those days where I am so caught up in the world that I don’t give much thought to God.  What’s wrong with me on those days?

And then I think about those days where I am so close to God and so distant from this world that I cannot help but sing!

Human beings are certainly complex, I’ll say that.  But today I think I’m going to reflect some more on how the psalmist must have felt trapped in a strange land and told to sing songs of joy.  I really think there is value in understanding that mentality as it pertains to my citizenship in the kingdom of God as well as the kingdom of this world.

Now for the last verse of this psalm.  Yes, the psalmist literally does say that the person who comes along and throws the babies of the Babylonians against the rocks is a blessed person.  It is so easy to hear that and think, “What a horrible statement!  How can that be in the Bible?”  It’s so easy to want to rip that statement out of the Bible and say it doesn’t exist.

However, remember that this psalm is written while the psalmist is in exile in Babylon.  He’s watched the Babylonians grab the Hebrew babies and throw them against rocks so that they would die.  The psalmist has watched his beloved people be separated from one another.  He’s watched his people be marched off into exile.  While I cannot condone murder of any kind in any fashion, I can understand how the human heart would reach this point after experiencing that much trauma. 

While I do not believe that God condones such behavior, I do believe that what we see in this passage is an emotion within humanity that is certainly present and capable of being brought out.  I think it is good for us as human beings to look at this text and think about what kind of life it would take for us to bring about such a reaction.  If nothing else, it is good for us to look at these closing verses and give glory to God for blessing us and enabling us to not have to endure the experiences that others have had to experience.  It is also good for us to be humbled and realize that we are then called to pray for those who are living such a life and honestly support them in our prayers.

Psalm 138

Psalm 138 brings to us another Psalm of David.  It’s been a while since we’ve had a Psalm of David.  But did you notice the immediate shift in the tenor of the psalm?  This psalm was about God.  This psalm focused on God’s hand in our life.  This psalm is concerned about the nature of God.

Specifically, as I read this psalm I focused on the nature of God that is brought out in verse 6.  Though the Lord is high, He knows the lowly.  There is nobody higher than the Lord.  In fact, the Hebrew word used for God can mean “elevated” and “exalted.”  Who is exalted more than God?  Nobody!

Yet it is the lowly to whom He is visible.  The Hebrew word that is used in this verse can also be translated as “humble.”  The Lord is exalted, and He is seen by the humble.  The Lord makes an effort to know the people who do not think more of themselves than they should.  The Lord knows those people who recognize their character and recognize the need to make room for God in their life!

Also note that the Lord knows other people from afar.  I really like the translation of “acknowledges from a distance.”  I get an idea of two people staring at each other from across the room and giving each other slight and distant nods.  They don’t communicate.  They don’t really even want to know one another.  But they acknowledge each other’s presence as if to acknowledge the fact that there is no relationship between them.

Who are these people that God acknowledges from a distance?  The haughty.  The proud.  The boastful.  The self-monger.  The people who are so wrapped up in their own life that they don’t have time for God.  God acknowledges them from a distance, but the personal and intimate relationship is simply not there.

What more reason do we need to be humble this day that Psalm 138:6?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment