Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Year 2, Day 296: Proverbs 5

The Nitty-Gritty Truth

As we begin to look at proverbs 5 I think we have a literally analogy that has far reaching truth if we also accept it as a figurative analogy.  The words that jumped out at me as I read this were: “the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey and her speech is smoother than oil.  But in the end she is bitter as wormwood and sharp as a two edged sword.”  I love this description.

I love this description.  I love it on a very gritty, real, physical level.  How many of us know the temptation of a physical forbidden fruit!  For us men, how many of us can say that we’ve never wanted that intimate moment with woman that catches our eye?  How many of us men cannot honestly confess that our eyes have lingered longer – far longer than they should – on that woman with whom we have no right to let our eyes linger?  How many of us men cannot confess to having thoughts in the back of our mind for far longer than we should allow them to take up residence?  {And for the record, I’d ask the same of women … but being a man I only know what tempts a man.  So women, I’m going to trust that you can ask yourself a similar set of questions appropriate for that which women lust after.}

What is the fruit of such lust in our eyes and our mind?  Is it ever good?  Does anything good ever come out of looking too long at something that is forbidden?  Fundamentally, does anything good ever come out of lingering on something that is inherently rooted in the flesh?  When we truly pursue the desires of our own fleshly heart, do we not always end up with a bitter and unsatisfied taste in the end?

This leads me to the more figurative understanding.  Is it only a physical lust to which these thoughts apply?  If we were to change this to “money” instead of women, is the teaching any different?  What about “cars?”  What about “shoes?”  What about “jewelry?”  What about “the size of my house?”  What about “clothing labels?”  What about “vacation destinations?”  What about “education level?”  Is anything of this world exempt from leaving a bitter taste if we pursue it apart from God’s will?  If I long for – or lust after – something that God does not desire – thus, forbidden – will I not always taste the bitterness of life and feel the double-edge sword?

Then we are to hear that we are to not go near to “her.”  {Or figuratively, “it.”}  That path leads to Sheol {The place of the dead.}  The pursuit of things that are apart from God is a path of death and a life lived in which true life is not even the goal!  The pursuit of things that are apart from God is a path of un-discipline.  It is forsaking the very attributes in this life that make things like community, fellowship, and peace even possible.

Wow.  That last sentence really hit me as I finished it.  I’ve known it for a long time, but I guess I haven’t pondered it for a while.  The reason we do not have peace with ourselves and with one another is because we pursue things that are not of God.  We do not have peace because our hearts are focused on our own desires.  I think that point is readily clear with respect to peace with one another.  Whenever I lift up my so-called rights/desires above your so-called rights/desires conflict is inevitable.

But what really struck me today is the application of that thought inward.  For decades I have struggled with depression.  At a few points during my teenage years, my depression almost got the best of me.  It has been a lifelong struggle that I fight and have resigned to likely fight all of my life. 

I’ve heard it said that depression is anger turned inwards.  Today, that phrase makes a ton of sense.  For me … why am I depressed?  I am depressed because I see my choices and how I’ve failed.  I’ve failed because I’ve chosen to pursue things that are apart from God.  I am angry with myself for not being able to choose the paths of God like I should.  I am not at peace with myself because there is a part of me that enjoys choosing a path apart from the love and truth of God.

In the end, I think the author of this proverb speaks well.  In a literal sense, the advice is for people to long for the ones that are not forbidden.  A husband is to long for his wife.  A wife is to long for her husband.  That is phenomenal spiritual advice!

On a figurative level, it is also great advice.  We should long for that which is not forbidden.  Desire the things, people, and thoughts of God.  Drink from the cistern from which He desires you to drink.  This is wonderful, wonderful advice.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment