Saturday, October 6, 2012

Year 2, Day 279: Psalms 141-142

Psalm 141

Psalm 141:2 brings about a memory of one of my favorite liturgical songs.  Marty Haugen has a prayer service called Holden Evening Prayer, which is a wonderful setting of worship for events like mid-week Lenten or Advent services.  Within that service he has composed the psalmody in which the chorus reads: “Let my prayer rise up like incense before you – the lifting up of my hands, as an offering to you.”  It’s sung in a bit of a round, and it is simply one of the most beautiful pieces I can remember singing liturgically.

Since hearing that song the first time I have always been fascinated by this idea of our prayers being as incense before God.  It is as though God dwells in heaven with our prayers surrounding Him.  It is as though God is perpetually embraced by our worship.  But so far I have made it sound as though it is all about us and what we give to God.  I don’t really mean that at all.

Rather, I think it is fascinating that of all the things that God could surround Himself with He might choose to surround Himself with our prayers.  He created the universe.  He could surround Himself with the magnificence of His creation.  He could surround Himself with images of the splendor of the work of His hands.  But Psalm 141 leads me to think that He also treasures our prayer – our communication with Him – so much that He loves surrounding Himself with that very communication.  What a blessed God we have!

This leads us into the rest of the psalm.  David asks God to set a guard over his mouth.  This makes sense in the light of verse 2.  If God treasures our communication, we should want all of the words of our mouth to be pleasing to Him!  The same is true for our heart.  We should want God to keep our hearts secure so that there is no danger of evil coming from out of our lips.  Again, it is true for our actions.  Our actions should enable us to speak words that are pleasing to God, so we should ask God to watch over and guide our actions as well.

Psalm 142

Psalm 142 is a psalm of begging and pleading for God.  We can see David in a time of trouble.  David is once again in a time where he is being pursued by those who would like to entrap him.  David does the only thing that he can – he cries out to his God for help.

As I read through this psalm, I was really struck by verse 5.  “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.”  What an incredible statement for David – or any of us – to make.  Of all the things that this world has for us to desire, David claims that His portion is God.

This word “portion” can take on the meanings of share, inheritance, reward, or even legacy.  God is our inheritance.  That’s a cool thought today.  Have you ever thought of God as inheritance?  I have thought of God a good many ways and I have even known for a while that our inheritance comes from God.  But I don’t know that I have spent much time thinking about how it is actually God who is our inheritance, not just the source of it.

What about the idea of legacy?  What does it mean to say that God is our legacy?  Do you hear the humble confession behind that idea?  When I die, nothing I have done will remain.  When I die, God will remain.  My works are only good and should only be remembered as they pertain to the work of the Lord.

But there’s a deeper layer than this.  Fundamentally, this statement of God being David’s portion is actually a statement of rejection for the world.  It’s as if David is saying to the world, “As full as this world is of things to love, I choose God.”  In a sense, it’s David’s throwback to Joshua 24:15.  David has seen the stuff of this world, and He has chosen God instead.   What an absolutely incredible pronouncement of faith from this Hebrew king!

God is our deliverer.  He is watching over our path.  He is the source of our strength.  He is the source of our inheritance and He is our inheritance.  Why not choose Him over the world?  Why not reject what the world has to offer – which will fade or break anyway – and choose that which is everlasting?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment