Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Year 2, Day 303: Proverbs 12

The Need For Correction

As we begin Proverbs 12, we have a wonderful verse.  “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge; but he who hates reproof is stupid.”  Upon reading this, my mind went back to an educational theory that was popular several decades ago.  Fortunately, it came into popularity just after I was in elementary school so I was not taught under its influence.  But it went something like this:

We don’t want to damage a child’s self-esteem.  So when they spell “dog” by saying “c-a-t” we don’t want to tell them they are wrong.  Rather, we want to compliment them on their ability to try and then slowly show them how “d-o-g” might be a better way to spell “dog” than “c-a-t.”

Anyone else remember when the days of that educational theory were popular?  {To some extent it still is with the “No child left behind” – or should I say, “No Teacher Left Standing” – stuff.} 

Proverbs 12:1 really tells us just how stupid that educational approach is.  He who hates reproof is stupid.  He who thinks a child can be raised without telling them that they are wrong is just flat out dumb.  Anyone who thinks that they can become a productive member of society without having a healthy understanding of when you have crossed the line is really just setting themselves up for trouble with the law.  One of the fundamental elements of society is not only understanding right from wrong but also being able to teach right from wrong.  Properly administered disciplinary tactics are always a good thing.  Poorly administered self-esteem tactics are always bad.  For more thought, see Proverbs 12:15.

Family Life

Proverbs 12:4 is another one of my personal favorite proverbs – one that I think I can honestly learn to put into practice better.  “An excellent wife if the crown of her husband.”  I have an excellent wife.  She loves me.  She isn’t out in the community doing things she shouldn’t be doing.  She is diligent about working with me to make sure we spend quality time together.  We work together with managing our finances.  She shares the duties of cooking and cleaning with me.   She comes to worship God with me every week.  She loves God.

Yes, I have a crown for a wife.  But do I always see her that way?  Do I always look at my life as though she is the best thing to happen to me since Jesus died on the cross?  Or do I sometimes long for those moments of being alone?  Or do I sometimes undervalue her efforts?  An excellent wife is indeed the crown of her husband.  But that doesn’t always mean that this husband sees the value in wearing such a quality crown.  I can do better in this regard than I already do.

Station In Life

Proverbs 12:9 also tells us an interesting tale.  “Better to be lowly and have a servant than to play the great man and lack bread.  Actually, as I think about it there are two lessons here.  The first lesson is to be honest with who we are.  Notice that the author contrasts the verbs “to be” and “to play” in each half of the proverb.  It is always better to be in touch with who we are than to try and play a role that is not real.

I also think that there is a lesson here about living within our means, too.  How many times do we see people who come into money turn around and only a short time later file for bankruptcy?  What good does having a grand house and wonderful clothes do a person if they cannot put bread on the table?  What good does it do to drive around in a fancy car and belong to a prestigious country club if we struggle to pay our bills every month?

The Path To Life

I’m going to close this reflection with a no-brainer.  But it is a no-brainer that is repeated over and over in the proverbs so it makes sense for us to also repeat it over and over as well.  The last verse of this chapter says that the path of righteousness is life.  There is no death in it.  Jesus demonstrated that fact to us.  Jesus lived.  He was killed.  But death could not hold Him.  The same will be true for all those who live according to righteousness.  Nothing in this world is worth sacrificing that truth.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment